how do you store your barrels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntense

Reaction score
I do have some used empty wine barrels and I'm wondering if I should keep them dry, or fill them with something?

what do you think?

Also, I'm looking for more white oak barrels, if you know where I can buy some, let me know!

Thanks!

Store wet - dry lets them dry out and they'll start to leak. And lets microbes move in - I might use an alcohol or a sanitizer. YMMV

You don't want to use plain water. All kinds of bacteria could grow there. Use the kmeta (I accidentally bought the cheaper sodium metabisulfite once and use it instead for sanitizing. It does the same thing) and citric acid blend but don't place your eyes and nose over the bung when you open it. Use at the rate of 2 tablespoons Potassium Metabisulfite powder and 1 tablespoon of citric acid per gallon of water.

thanks for the precisions.

What's 'KMeta' by the way?

As for citric acid, where do you buy that?

thanks!

Great, I already have Potassium Metabisulfite at home. I'll buy some citric acid.

thanks!

Back