how do you save money... and what's your per bottle price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well what i learned is clear.

if you want cheap, drink bud light.

if you want more affordable high quality ale's, brew your own.

if you save money comes down to, are you a gearhead, and what kind of beer do you buy?

I don't get the people that say it's not saving money. If you make simple steps to do so you're less than 1/4 the cost per bottle, just don't look to get an automated electric recirculating system and you're break even point should be within a year.

Go all grain, buy base in bulk bags, harvest yeast from starters, and buy hops in 4oz or 1 lb packages online, you'll be less than $25 per batch with no problems at all.

Yes, I can acknowledge that some people here have been brewing a long time, are very frugal, and save some money by homebrewing. I'll make up a statistic and say that those people make up 15% of HBT. For 85% of HBT, I present the following...

Ways to "save money" by homebrewing:

1. lie to yourself and others about how much you spend on homebrewing
2. lie to yourself and others about how good your beer is compared to commercial beers
3. compare the cost of your bulk-purchased ingredients to the finished, packaged, highest priced commercial examples you can find
4. Assume that you would actually buy large quantities of those high priced commercial examples
5. Drink a LOT! The more you drink, the more you save!
6. Never consider that the endless hours you spend on HBT, brewing, cleaning, and shopping for homebrew deals could be spent in other, more productive ways.

Here's some quick financial advice: Don't lie to yourself about how much you spend on your hobbies.
Here's some quick relationship advice: Don't lie to SWMBO about how much you spend on your hobbies.

I'll pay $50 for a 750 of the right sour without question *cough* Cantillon *cough*. If you don't factor in the space while aging those kinds of sours are soooo much cheaper to brew. Whole batch often for less than the cost of a single bottle.

I'm not into sours, but I understand that Cantillon is the gold standard and hard to come by. Actually, doing a little Googling, maybe $50 for a half gallon is not a bad price. If I remember correctly this is the one they were pouring:

http://www.globalbeer.com/belgian-beer/silly-sour

The point I was getting at, is that we are not production breweries, so sitting on a sour beer for 1, 2 or 3 years basically costs us nothing as homebrewers. If we're looking to 'save' money, a relatively cheap grain bill and a long wait are a fraction of a percent of $500. Or $50 per 750mL

Yes, I can acknowledge that some people here have been brewing a long time, are very frugal, and save some money by homebrewing. I'll make up a statistic and say that those people make up 15% of HBT. For 85% of HBT, I present the following...

2. lie to yourself and others about how good your beer is compared to commercial beers
3. compare the cost of your bulk-purchased ingredients to the finished, packaged, highest priced commercial examples you can find
4. Assume that you would actually buy large quantities of those high priced commercial examples
*EDIT to add*
6. Never consider that the endless hours you spend on HBT, brewing, cleaning, and shopping for homebrew deals could be spent in other, more productive ways.

Here's some quick financial advice: Don't lie to yourself about how much you spend on your hobbies.
Here's some quick relationship advice: Don't lie to SWMBO about how much you spend on your hobbies.

For sure. I went from spending maybe $50 on beer a month prior to brewing to dropping $200 a month between my LHBS and buying "research" at the bottle shop.

And yes, lying to the wife about it only ends badly. Trust me.

We can all agree that lying to the wife is bad. Hell, I'm the one perfectly content to drink a nice Blonde ale or low ABV cream ale, my wife is the one that likes the IIPA's with a pound of hops in them.

my beer bill is 112$ a month if i drink half founders and half sierra nevada.

6 lbs extract = 18$
4 ounces hops = 4$
1 lbs specialty grains - 3$
re harvest yeast...
... well water so free ... cheapest gas anywhere ( i heat my house for 60$/mo, si it can't add up to more than pennies)
call is 5$ in whirfloc, star san, whatever else...
i must be forgetting something to have it cost more than 30$ for 40 bottles (75 cents a bottle) that's a high guess with a low yeild.

i guess the big difference is my only equipment is a five gallon pot i already had.

I guess in countries where beer is cheap, it's harder to "break even".

but my gear cost less than 2 months very basic drinking, and even the most basic wheatbeer is 3 euro's a bottle.

only mass-produced lager is anywhere near homebrewing costs here.

1. lie to yourself and others about how much you spend on homebrewing Why would you do that?
2. lie to yourself and others about how good your beer is compared to commercial beers No need, this isn't commercial beer, it's HB. And it's damn good, problem?
3. compare the cost of your bulk-purchased ingredients to the finished, packaged, highest priced commercial examples you can find Breweries don't buy in bulk?
4. Assume that you would actually buy large quantities of those high priced commercial examples I did.
5. Drink a LOT! The more you drink, the more you save!I still drink the same amount of beer for a fraction of the cost... so, sure.
6. Never consider that the endless hours you spend on HBT, brewing, cleaning, and shopping for homebrew deals could be spent in other, more productive ways.Or quit hobbies altogether and go get a second job to be more productive.

I agree with all of this, except the points mentioned in red.

1. Who does that? Most people here mention everything right down to the sponge they stole from the kitchen sink to clean their kettle.
2. Does it matter if others think my beer isn't as good as long as I think it's better? Right now, I'm drinking a lot of saison that was fermented with some Sacc Trois thrown in. My friend tells me that the pineapple isn't to style, but I like it better than any commercial example. Win for me.
3. Why wouldn't I compare the cost of my ingredients and amortized gear to what I pay for the commercial example of what I would otherwise buy? If I wasn't drinking this saison of mine, I'd be dropping $12 on 4 packs of Allagash, because that's what I like.
4. I used to buy really expensive beer, now I don't. I still buy lawnmower beer since I don't make beer cheaper than Pabst does. That, and I prefer my shower beer in a can, so homebrew is out.
5. I have a couple beers a night, that happened before I started brewing.
6. I call this "having fun." I value having fun more than I value being productive. Millions of people feel this way as well. If they didn't, there wouldn't be TV shows, movies, video games, sporting equipment shops, whatever.

Brewing saves money for some people, and is an expensive hobby that results in beer for some people. It depends on who you are and what you would be drinking otherwise. Or what you would be doing for fun otherwise. There are some damn expensive hobbies out there.

For me at least, I'm not going to replace having fun with working more, so this hobby actually works out well.

Someone is a crappy homebrewer and just got rid of their ugly baby syndrome?

I have been reusing and improvising equipment for a number of years now. I brew on the basement floor, so i don't need refrigeration. I brew on a stove. Electricity is negligible, maybe $0.25. I re-use bottles and have friends donate theirs. I don't use a lot of thermometers or hydrometers anymore.

The only expenses i have are bags for boiling ($1.50), caps ($1.50 per 5 gallons), maybe some tubing ($4), maybe a case of bottles ($13), and ingredients.

I splurge on ingredients, but that's not to say I am spending more as I buy expensive beers. Last batch was $74 for 24 22oz bottles of a braggot. That's $3.36 per bottle but 22oz of beers that i buy are $3 to $10. Usually closer to $7. I bought 4 lbs top quality honey, 3 lbs speciality malts, 3 kinds of hops, cherries, lemons, and oranges, and live yeast. All of it was best on the market when i bought it. They are on par for craft brews in local stores which sell for $4.99 to $6.99

1. Who does that? Most people here mention everything right down to the sponge they stole from the kitchen sink to clean their kettle.
2. Does it matter if others think my beer isn't as good as long as I think it's better? Right now, I'm drinking a lot of saison that was fermented with some Sacc Trois thrown in. My friend tells me that the pineapple isn't to style, but I like it better than any commercial example. Win for me.
3. Why wouldn't I compare the cost of my ingredients and amortized gear to what I pay for the commercial example of what I would otherwise buy? If I wasn't drinking this saison of mine, I'd be dropping $12 on 4 packs of Allagash, because that's what I like.
4. I used to buy really expensive beer, now I don't. I still buy lawnmower beer since I don't make beer cheaper than Pabst does. That, and I prefer my shower beer in a can, so homebrew is out.
5. I have a couple beers a night, that happened before I started brewing.
6. I call this "having fun." I value having fun more than I value being productive. Millions of people feel this way as well. If they didn't, there wouldn't be TV shows, movies, video games, sporting equipment shops, whatever.

Brewing saves money for some people, and is an expensive hobby that results in beer for some people. It depends on who you are and what you would be drinking otherwise. Or what you would be doing for fun otherwise. There are some damn expensive hobbies out there.

For me at least, I'm not going to replace having fun with working more, so this hobby actually works out well.
1. who doesn't do that?
2. you're a buzz kill. I make the best beer on the interwebs! everyone either likes it, or they're not technologically advanced. I have videos.
3. I compare the cost of the underwear I bought 5 years ago to the cost of some Bud Light my in-laws left at my house 4 years ago.
4. I like Old Chub. I like to take it in the shower. in the can.
5. I have only a couple beers a night. a couple RIS, a couple Barley Wines, a couple Tripels, a couple IIPAs...
6. if you're having fun, you're doing it wrong.

there are ways of saving some money. just take tips from some of the seasoned brewers.:mug:

I don't care what it cost per bottle to brew beer. I feel my beer tastes better than anything available around here. If it tastes good, just go ahead and do it.

I've never pinched pennies when brewing beer. I don't do it to save money...and I think that's a realization that most of us have somewhere after buying our second brew kettle or a kegging setup. I love the beer I make and I enjoy sharing it. I could spend this money on BMC or microbrews and not have the satisfaction I do when I make my own. It's the best hobby I have ever picked up and it produces something that many people can enjoy. That, to me, is worth whatever money I have put into it.

My summation to this and other "does it save money?", arguments is it depends. Some people treat it as a hobby and don't care if it saves money. I get this, home brewing is a fun hobby and its much cheaper than other hobbies you can have. I am a casual golfer, but even at medium levels $600 for start up equipment and then probably $400-800 a year for the 5-10 rounds a year I golf homebrew looks pretty cheap. And I could easily spend quite a bit more on golf or have a more expensive hobby.

If that's how you treat homebrewing then great. You probably don't save money doing it. You don't care if you do, it's fun to buy that new piece of equipment.

For others saving money might not be the ultimate goal, but it can be a reality. My per 12 oz cost varies from 50cents to $1 depending on ingredients needed, reusing yeast, etc. I live in Canada and even Coors light is almost $2 a beer. A six pack from Anchor or Lagunitas is around $18, good bombers usually start around $7 and can easily be $10. So every 100 beer equals $100-200 in savings, maybe even more. Total expenses for all my equipment is probably around $250 and aside from General wear and tear there is no reason to spend anymore. I brew around 500 beer a year so even in 1 year I saved at least a few hundred dollars.

That's not my reason for brewing, but it's true. And sure, I might eventually spend some more money. I've always wanted to keg, or may be I will update my system one day, but I don't have to. I could keep making beer the same way for years and save thousands if that's what I chose.

Personally, I'm out way more money than I have saved. It's a hobby I love doing and I love great beer. Maybe one day I will save money going all grain and doing ten gallons at a time. Till then, as with most hobbies you love, I'll gladly fund it for enjoyment.

I have worked in a hobby (not brewing) store for 12 years. The guys who are always concerned with cost over all else miss out on a lot of the enjoyment. Just my two cents based on my years of conversations with hobbyists.....FYI I am a blue collar guy not a snob with money.

I don't even have $100. I'll BIAB forever, probably. I make beer that I really like this way.

Truth. I'm at a pretty happy point. Maybe in a few years when I have a more stable living arrangement (ie no longer in apartments/condos) I'll get an electric heating element and a pulley system, and a fermentation chamber, which will all cost maybe $80 bucks to build. Until then I'm perfectly happy with my setup.

The type of beer I brew would run me 8-12 dollars a bomber and a 5gal batch yields +-29 bombers.

$290 store bought vs $50ish dollars in ingredients.

Yeah, I'm saving money hand over fist by not buying fancy beer and just making it myself.

I know on morebeer.com you get free shipping over $60 bucks. If it's coming from CA and you're on the east coast it can take a while to get your stuff. Only downside. I need to just get a 50 lb bag of 2row and call it a day...

I didn't think any place on the interwebs includes bulk sacks of grain with the free shipping. I haven't seen any place yet anyway.

My two local places are about $65 bucks or higher for a sack of grain, not such a great deal. I can find it online for 35ish but then shipping takes it up to around 70.

PLEASE let me know if any online orders have free shipping for 50lbs bag of grain!

I didn't think any place on the interwebs includes bulk sacks of grain with the free shipping. I haven't seen any place yet anyway.

My two local places are about $65 bucks or higher for a sack of grain, not such a great deal. I can find it online for 35ish but then shipping takes it up to around 70.

PLEASE let me know if any online orders have free shipping for 50lbs bag of grain!

A few options for this. Check out local brew clubs, see if any of them are doing group buys. Also, check out the Group buy section here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174 There may be one local to you where you can get these discounted sacks of grain. One more option is to arrange a group buy (true they take a lot of work, especially if you are doing splits) by asking your LHBS guys if they will help you out if you can get it set up. Lastly, talk with the brewers at a local brewery and see if they can add a sack or two onto their order for you. They tend to get bulk rates.

A few options for this. Check out local brew clubs, see if any of them are doing group buys. Also, check out the Group buy section here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174 There may be one local to you where you can get these discounted sacks of grain. One more option is to arrange a group buy (true they take a lot of work, especially if you are doing splits) by asking your LHBS guys if they will help you out if you can get it set up. Lastly, talk with the brewers at a local brewery and see if they can add a sack or two onto their order for you. They tend to get bulk rates.

Good info. I do keep an eye on the group buy but seem like the closest to me is the DC area. I will keep an eye on it.

Setting up a group buy, while doable, takes time I normally don't have. I work two jobs, 7 days a week. :(

I have been meaning to get to the local places to see if I can get in on a few sacks, but just haven't done that yet.

Thanks for the info.

I pick up my bulk grain from a local brew pub. It might really be worth your time asking if they would sell you a bag at cost. I get 2 row for .68 a lb.

Sorry, Looking back at how I worded that it does seem like I know where to find 50 lb sacks for free shipping... yea, on morebeer it excludes the 50 lbs sacks. I usually just get 3 or 4 10 lb bags which do qualify for free shipping.

Bulk grain does not ship for free at MoreBeer.

You are correct and I knew that. I should have worded my last couple sentences differently. I meant for it to be a totally separate comment from my previous comment about morebeer and free shipping.

I just need to get a 50 lb bag of 2row, locally, and call it a day. :mug:

Back