How do you pick what to brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
Like the title says, what pulls you by the nose from brew to brew?

For me, it's usually a name. I randomly think up a name, write it down, then later try to fit a beer to it. Sometimes it's in the name, sometimes it's a stretch, but I usually have the name before the beer. A few examples:

Strawberries n' Cream Stout (just like it sounds)
Nunyo Bee's Knees (Honey Wheat)
V.I.P. (vanilla imperial porter)

If I'm running low on hoppy beer, I'll make a hoppy beer. Otherwise it's about a 50% chance I'll make a hoppy beer. If my pipeline is rich and full I'll make something that has to age, or something that has to lager.

I've been working on getting a stable of eight or nine beers that I can do well. Tweaking the ingredients and such. Of course, the last few days, I've been looking for something different so I decided to do one of my favorite styles - milk stout. I'm waiting for the temperature to get warmer so I can do a saison (I don't have a heater for my fermenter).

I look at the ingredients I have on hand, look as some recipes, decide what fits the season, or see something that looks good and I have some or most of the ingredients. I then get what I need and go for it. Next up is a copy of John Palmer's Elevenses recipe. I found it on Northern Brewer's website.

I like to keep at least 7 beers on tap ranging from 4% to 10%+. So I just juggle what I need to brew to keep the taps full with a variety I like to drink and the friends that like to drink free beer for cleaning the mash ton.

For me, it's a total crapshoot. I'm always formulating recipes and sometimes I'll decide on one, then change to another. There's really no rhyme or reason to how I pick what to brew. Last time I went to the LHBS to pick up ingredients for my next batch, I changed my mind on the way and came up with a different recipe while driving and brewed that instead.

It is a fascinating question that I currently am struggling to answer. I want and need to brew something, but don't know what. If I have no beer on tap, I will often brew an old standby -- a pale ale that I've made dozens of times. Similar if I am brewing for an event.

However, lately, I find that I don't brew the same beer twice. I batch is a new experiment -- using a new yeast, doing a SMaSH to explore the flavor of a particular base malt, trying a hop variety I've never tried. Lately, I've been exploring some Belgian styles.

Much of it comes down to inspiration. Perhaps I have a conversation with someone that makes me think of a style; the recent issue of BYO magazine on malt is making me lean toward a malt forward ale.

I try to have on hand what I need for 3 or 4 flavors. That way if I have the time, desire, or whatever I can make at least one that I am excited about. I've been doing the bulk purchase for several types for the past 6 months and it has served me well. I'm brewing my second batch of the day right now because I had the window to do it...having the goods on hand let me take advantage.

Latest posts

Back