How do YOU name your beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound002

Reaction score
Just taking some gravity readings on a honey wheat I'm making, and a name for it finally popped into my head. After years away, I've finally settled back down in my home town. So I thought hey! Hometown Honey Wheat has a nice ring to it! I'm not sure if anyone else is using that name or not. Wouldn't wanna steal a "brand".

So the question is, how do yall come up with your beer names? Should be a fun discussion!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Sometimes an event during brewing is an influence as is a play on words and ingredients. With my names, often a label makes the name more obvious. I make labels but seldom get them printed out. You never know, they may come in handy if I ever do a BOP.

I was at my lhbs yesterday. We talked about beer names. The store keeper had made a Rogan beer that was so ugly it was hard to look at. He named it Medusa
Lol

Agreed! For example,I'm writing a dystopian sci-fi book about FEMA camps,the New World Order,guards on every corner with portable SCMODS called PPDS's,etc. Orwell's world comes to pass,but some 70 years later,in 2034. So anyway,My main character got his home brewing hobby turned into a 6bbl brewery by the well-healed patrons of his sector. but right before he & his friends change things back to something more normal,they'll put out a Whiskely Stout called Queen Anne's Revenge with an etching of Blackbeard on the label. I actually brew this beer & this is the label for it;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/qarstout2_zps44362a92.jpg.html] [/URL]
So that's one example. My family has a mountain in WV that was settled in 1734 by my ancestor from Upper Bavaria,Germany. Some 3 counties worth of land was deeded to his father by the then German king or whatever. The mountain has been know by our surname ever since. but since folks see our simple 5 letter German name,they insist the "u" is missing. So "cougar" became our family nick name. I named my best to date IPA Cougar Mountain IPA for that reason. I did an all NZ hopped IPA,naming it after the original people that settled New Zealand,the Maori. Thus,Maori IPA was born. Early on,I did an AE pale ale that had such a nice color,that I named it Sunset Gold pale ale.
So names can come from family history,or pop into your head from something,anything you happened to write that triggers memory response. Some place you've been,something you read,something you heard. Keep an open mind,& your brain will reward you in ways you couldn't imagine till it happens. then you'll understand. So keep an open mind & enjoy the ride. I sure am!:tank:

Great discussion already! Love hearing the stories behind beer!

Glad you like our stories. It's not always easy to talk about my family's past,but this is the time to make a point,in my mind. It's how I come up with names for my beers that can,albeit colorfully,describe the beer. Usually in a historical context that gives the name,& thusly the beer,a bit more honor & history of it's own. I hope y'all understand that aspect of it. I think & research things,& the names just sort of come to me. As some might guess,I'm a thinker. I love putting some thought into things like this that invoke splinter's of the mind's eye.

I have only done 4 batches and only 2 of them have been named.

My very first batch was a porter. It came out okay (definitely drinkable) but had some off flavor issues. I almost called if Friendship Porter because all my friends kept telling me how good it was. I know they were being nice.

Second batch was a very strong stout almost imperial stout range. While it was still in the fermenter, the GF and I were watching Spaceballs when she looks at me and says "You need to call it Liquid Schwartz" The name has stuck.

Third batch we dont talk about it. I did something so incredibly stupid I am ashamed of admitting it. It got dumped. It was drinkable but at about 2.6 ABV there was no way I was going to keg it and I did not feel like bottling any of it.

Fourth batch was a tweaked version of the third so I am calling in Mulligan Pale Ale. It tasted awesome right off the bat and ever sample from the fermenter has tasted great. Going to cold crash it here in a few days and keg it.

I name mine according to what strikes me at the moment.

I have an Imperial IPA I called Imperial Stormtrooper because I kind of like Star Wars and just thought the name was kind of fun to say.

I have a stout I called Shaved Monkey Stout because someone looked at the recipe and said, "That's gonna grow some hair on your tongue".

I have an Amber I named Lame Duck Amber because I am not a fan of ambers but made this at a friends request.

So yeah my naming process is really random as to how I feel about the beer and recipe.

Generally: Year, Defining Ingredient, Style. Such as 2013 Moteuka Amber.

Makes the filing easier.

Sometimes it gets an alternate name. So the 2013 Moteuka Amber is also named Sommergarten because it's based on Uinta's SUM'R Ale. It's not a strict clone though.

I have a neighbor who doesn't like my dark beers which he thinks are anything darker than a Coors so I brewed an extra light just for him. It's "Gary's Ale". It's light in color, light in flavor, and light in alcohol. I think he'll love it and if he doesn't, I get to drink it.

Snowstorm Porter(brewed in a snowstorm), Sit on a Pail (Citra pale ale), Honey come sit by me (honey Citra pale ale), Blighty (English bitter), Mild Manored (English mild), Jamacian Summer (molasses porter), Loose Change (based loosely on a red ale but I made a few changes to the recipe), Flat Broke (fat tire clone but I didn't have quite all the ingredients so the recipe is broke), Amarillo by Morning (Amarillo pale ale). Aren't names fun?

I'll usually take an ingredient I'm using or the style of beer and try to come up with a play on words.
My sons name is Zephyr, so last summer when I brewed up a Hef I decided to call it the Zefeweizen.
I also made a Black dipa using Nelson Sauvin hops so I called it Nelson Mandela DIPA.

Some of the names are unoriginal. Like the porter I brewed with lactose, just called it Cream Porter.

I put a rocking chair together during the mash today so I guess "rocking chair red" is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

RM-MN - You got a recipe for "Sit on a Pail"? That sounds like a perfect beer to be out on the ice with holding a jigging rod! :D

I've got a weird system - in Brewtarget everythings in code with an abreviation and numberset, experimentals (eg, homemade recipes) get XP, clones get CL, Smashes get SM, and keepers get names and rotated to a different pool.

Last batch bottled was a dubbel. I shot 10 points past my intended OG, so I've named it Ground Rule Dubbel. I put a little photo of Tris Speaker on the label.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Third batch we dont talk about it. I did something so incredibly stupid I am ashamed of admitting it. It got dumped. It was drinkable but at about 2.6 ABV there was no way I was going to keg it and I did not feel like bottling any of it.

OK, anyone else want to hear what went wrong? I love reading brewing disaster stories. I just had a dumper myself due to a panicky move. Fess up! We'll all learn from it and it might be therapeutic for you! :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

All of my saisons are Saison de/du (fill in the blank) of whatever stirkes me since saison has a double meaning. Others can be really random...my Belgian Stout that I have been enjoying is named "If it's Tuesday...Belgian Stout" as a play on the movie title. Sometimes the style is sufficient.

I brew a lot of Belgians, I also name my beers after family and friends, so I change them to sound more French if needed.

Mine are named with a local flavor for stuff around town. Still hoping to get my license to get the local restaurants to serve it. Been 3 months since I submitted my application though

My naming convention in brewtarget is 3 letters (my initials if it is mine, hbt for homebrewtalk bcs for Brewing Classic Styles, etc), followed by a basic description (hoppy wheat, robust porter, etc) and then finally the iteration number. All three fields are hyphen separated.

For a while I was doing Its Always Sunny references like Troll Toll Tripel and Day Man IPA (before Stone took the name). Most names are a result of some sort of epiphany a few beers in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

So far I tend to put my surname as the main title....then of course brewed at the "See Alice Brewery"!

VanDykeBrownAle.jpg

Quite a fun read! Some interesting names and great stories.

Have only named one recipe so far...was my #19th batch and my first time doing a stout...had a good feeling about it since transferring it to my secondary and after kegging it turned out to be one of my best (and one of the best stouts I've had) so named it Lucky #19 Stout :D

Really kewl name Konn, that works.

I'm worried about Billy, hope he doesn't go bobbing for ice cubes.

Well, considering I'm a whole 2 batches into the hobby, and have named 50% of my beers...

A buddy of mine is a creative director at a marketing company. We're both somewhat movie people (Coen bros are my speed, Tarantino is his, we both dig The Godfather I & II), so we bat ideas back and forth about famous movie quotes.

The Dunkel hasn't been named yet, but this was what we ended up with for my first brew (still conditioning in the bottle).

I-know-it-was-IBU_sm.jpeg

I name all my stuff and have claimed my home brewery on untappd. One of my favorites is "Johnny Hoppy IPA" named after my wife's cousin who's nick name is Johnny Hockey.

I generally don't name most of my beers - just IPA, Stout, Bourbon Barrel Dubbel, etc.
However, I did one that was based off a New Albion recipe I found so I called it Newer Albion, then another version I called Newest Albion.
I did one that was supposed to be a Dark IPA (Cascadian Dark, etc) with some smoked malt that I called Night in the Woods. Basically from the flavors I was going for - a bit of smoke, roasted malt, lots of Chinook and Simcoe for piney flavors... the first batch wasn;t so good, but I'm going to retry it at some point.
Another I did is based off a Magic Hat Heart of Darkness clone I did... Changed a couple things, so I called it Joseph Conrad's Revenge.

I generally don't name most of my beers - just IPA, Stout, Bourbon Barrel Dubbel, etc.

One of my favorites that I've seen on the forums was a very simple label, with "BEER #XX" and the style.

Something about it was just very very pleasing to me.

Another for no names just descriptions. Examples

Hop Bursted Cascadian Dark Ale
Hop Bursted Cascade Pale Ale
Bourbon Barrel Wee heavy
Chocolate Vanilla Porter
Kentucky Common
RyePA

I tend to use churchy (Presbyterian names) but if I am brewing w someone and it's their first brew and a new recipe, I let them name it. We have a good discussion about it.

Here are mine thus far:

Deacon - my first brew more beer's frensy's left coast kit
Sabbath Breaker - clone of kbc's widow maker
Leggy Blonde - Belgian blonde named after FOTC song
Yella Yard Bird - cream of 3 crops recipe - Chicken vet brew
Teacher's Pet - SWMBO'd cider
Great Gallos - chicken vet's requested stone ruination clone

Have a virgin brewer coming over in a few weeks to brew an ESB. He's excited and he doesn't even know that he's naming it yet.

Deacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My wife absolutely loves West Coast IPAs and Citra Hops.
I used centennial for bittering but only citra after that.

Hoppy Wife, Happy Life was born

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I can't tell you all the great beer names I've come up with or I'd have to kill ya but...I named my first beer "Buster" after a friend of mine that passed away. His name was Mark Hymen and he used to always declare "but my friends call me Buster" lol true story. rip Markie XO

Back