How do you guys get the lid off of your primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have one of those buckets with the blue lid and a gasket? If so, look at the side of the lid and you should see several holes all the way around the lid. Take a pair of tin snips and make a cut from the bottom edge of the lid into each of the holes, being careful not to cut above the holes. This will give the lid more play which will make it easier to remove and won't hurt its ability to seal on the bucket.

Place the bottom of your bucket waist high (kitchen counter tops work very well). Put both forearms across the bucket. Grab the the lid with both hands on the other side and pull up while puting pressure on your forearms to keep the lid from flying off. Rotate the bucket and repeat.

Elbows pressed down on the side of the lid closest to the body, and gently pry the other side with the fingers. I'm way too anal about splashing stuff around.

Dang! Great Neck Brewer beat me to it he did! ;)

I think I'm beginning to get some carpal tunnel, I mentioned my problems with openning buckets to the guys at my lhbs, I got one of these for about 5 dollars.

4220.jpg

You can even get them at hardware stores....Makes opening them a breeze!!

Something else I just remembered- I put my bucket on the floor, and stick my knee right in the middle. When I push with my knee, I use my fingers to pry up a spot on the lid. It works ok.

Damn, that looks like some sort of midevil torture device. :D

It may be, but it sure as heck pops those puppies open in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail. They got some into my lhbs the other day when I was there that are made of metal...now THEY look like they belong next to the rack and cat o nine tails.

I was thinking of something like what Revvy suggested, I just don't have one. But I appreciate all of the feedback.

Chef- I can imagine you can order one of these easily through your restaurant supplier. Adams Burch would have this stuff, no doubt.

I think I'm beginning to get some carpal tunnel, I mentioned my problems with openning buckets to the guys at my lhbs, I got one of these for about 5 dollars.

4220.jpg

You can even get them at hardware stores....Makes opening them a breeze!!

Proof that Revvy is just a fluffycat. Man up and use brute force!! ;)

I have arthritis and can't fight with the lids anymore so I use Gamma Seal Lids. They spin on and off and are easy to work with. The only problem is that you have to be sure to clean under the sealing ring real good to make sure nothing gets stuck under there. The sure make my life a lot better.
GSL-GroupL.jpg

I have arthritis and can't fight with the lids anymore so I use Gamma Seal Lids. They spin on and off and are easy to work with. The only problem is that you have to be sure to clean under the sealing ring real good to make sure nothing gets stuck under there. The sure make my life a lot better.
GSL-GroupL.jpg

Do you need an adapter to use the thread on a standard ALE Pail fermenter bucket???

Cool stuff.

Do you need an adapter to use the thread on a standard ALE Pail fermenter bucket???

Cool stuff.

It comes with it's own adapter ring to fit on standard sized buckets. Just drill a hole in the lid and your ready to run.

You could also use a hair dryer. Just blow it around the edge for about 30 to 45 seconds and then pull the lid off. The heat makes it much more pliable. Doesn't hurt the beer either.

:tank:

So let's recap... Some are tighter than others. You can use your fingers or a special aid. You can even get plastic multi-coloured adapters. It works best if you blow it first. If you don't use the artificial aids it always involves more sweating and grunting.

I'll never look at an ale pail lid quite the same again. :)

So let's recap... Some are tighter than others. You can use your fingers or a special aid. You can even get plastic multi-coloured adapters. It works best if you blow it first. If you don't use the artificial aids it always involves more sweating and grunting.

I'll never look at an ale pail lid quite the same again. :)

Man did you call it right...:drunk:

Just FYI -- I cut notches into the outer lip on my bucket lids. This makes the lip more flexible and easier to put on and take off.

Back