How do you get hops to grow horizontally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
I've got three raised beds with a 14' veritcal trellis. At the top, it makes a right turn and is tied off on the garage. I'll take some pics when I get home tonight.

So now, one part of my Nugget is past the top. I've let it grow a bit, and then wrapped it around the line going horizontally, just as I did when it started out going vertically. Problem is, every day when I get home, it hasn't gone any more horizontally along the line than it had when I wrapped it the night before, and instead is standing up vertically in the air.

I'm fully anticipating one of the Cascade's to be ready to start running horizontally tonight as well. So how do I get these suckers to run horizontally? Do I have to tie/clip them down? Thoughts?

the hops will always (and only) try to grow upwards. growing horizontal isn't natural for them, so you essentially need to force them horizontal.

looks like you have the right idea: let them grow upwards a bit, then wind them around your trellis. you'll need to repeat this throughout the growing season (they stop growing, for the most part, once they flower). if the bine won't stay in place, using clips or ties can be helpful.

Latest posts

Back