How do you create a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if there are better methods and resources to help me create recipes:
Currently I am using hodge-podge info and sources for creating recipes (in 5 gal extract and partial grain batches). Most of the time I first pick and study a style using various sources and beers, second find a recipe or clone that comes close to what I want, then modify that recipe yet again because of personal preferences and/or because of ingredients available at my local HB supply store.

So, in light of my methods thus far (8 batches under my belt). What are other ways to go about creating a beer. For simplicity lets stick with having the style picked-out i.e. "I want to make a refreshing American Wheat, not too heavy or hoppy". so where do you point someone from there...(I am not necessarily looking for details on the "American Wheat", just an example for guidance in putting together recipe).

Check out Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. Awesome book, has everything you need to know.

I totally wing everything. Any particular sources of influence I'll look into some of those beers. Maybe look at a recipe as an outline, figure out what I want to do, write it up then it's off to brew.

And like a chef, while i've got things boiling I'll taste test my wart to see if it's heading in the right direction and take not on what I may want to change the next batch.

i find brewing software to be very helpful in creating recipes. i also look at several known recipes for that style and drink a few good examples of that style. i then apply that info and start punching numbers into my software until i think i have it. i brew the recipe, and when drinking it i figure out how (or if) i need to make adjustments in the recipe or process. it usually takes me a couple brews to get exactly what i pictured when designing the recipe, but it's well worth the effort.

I start with Brewing Classic Styles, then check it with Designing Great Beers and change it a bit, then follow up with ProMash to see if it's exactly what I want in the parameter department.

The BJCP guidelines actually help a lot too. They will give you plenty of info if you know how to twist it out of there - e.g. specialty grains, hop varieties as well as hop bitterness/flavor/aroma. It will also help with gravity and ABV.

One big keg is to keep things simple. You don't necessarily need six kinds of grain and three or four varieties to create complexity. In fact, if you're new to recipe formulation, don't go overboard adding lots of grains and hops. Not only will you not be able to learn what each one contributes, you will most likely end up with lots of flavor mish-mash.

Brewing classic styles and designing great beers are terrific recourses.

When I brew a competition beer it must fall into the BJCP guidelines, so I study the guidelines of the specific beer I want to brew. From there I start listing what I want out of my beer. For example my CA couple IPA I want up front in the nose earthy, floral, grassy so I choose hops that match those characteristics. Out of the malt I want toasty, biscuity, a little raisin, silky mouthfeel, and good head retention. The flavoring hops will add to the hop character I desire. Finally I need a yeast and pitching rate to get through this beer leaving no diacytal or accyd. My OG for this beer is 1.114, and FG is 1.012. Therefore I know I need a strong yeast that can survive in the environment of such a big beer. Wyeast Scottish wee heavy yeast works great, and likes to ferment in the high 50s. I also know I need 3 smack packs in a 2L starter on the stir plate for 48 hours.

For a newer brewer some resources I'd use to get malt, hop, and yeast profiles would be: brewing classic styles, designing great beers, hopedia on the iPhone, and practical application. Take a handful of grain and start munching. Take notes on what that malt tastes like. My club does experiments where each member will brew a 1 gallon batch with 1 type of malt and talk about the flavors derived from that ingredient. Same goes for yeast and hops.

+1 to "Designing Great Beers"- that is THE book that got me to understand how recipes work, and I always go back to it when creating a recipe.

Brewing software is also a must. I like this free on-line recipe calculator:
The Brewer's Recipe Calculator
It did take me a good afternoon of tinkering to figure out how to get the info I want from that one.

I also was able to download a version of Brewtarget for free from somewhere on this forum... just do a search for it, it's pretty simple and easy to use. Again, one afternoon of tinkering and I was able to do what I want with it.

Finally, research. Look through the recipes on here, there's thousands of them, and make comparisons. If you want to do a stout, for example, you might find that 1 stout uses lactose and one stout uses chocolate nibs and one stout uses oak, etc, but all stouts use roasted barley and black patent, so you know you need those and will see roughly how much.

And sometimes, you just wing it.

Hopville.com is another free, online recipe calculator - I've used it since day one to make all of my recipes. My process generally involves me going to the recipes section here and reading a few different examples of what I'm trying to do. I always read down to see what other people's results were, so I can get a feeling from what people are saying as to how it will turn out. The basic structure of all my beers is the same, really: about 80% base malt, 20% specialty malts, bittering hops at the beginning, flavor hops in the middle, aroma hops at the end.

Latest posts

Back