How do you add LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
On my first brew I tried to simply pour the extract from the plastic can into the boiling pot. I didn't like it though because it was too thick and took forever to come out of the can. So I started diluting my extract (3-4 lbs) with 1-1.5 gallons of water, and then adding it to the wort before it reached boiling temperature. Are there any cons of such technique?

Don't add it to boiling wort, or it will get scorched.
I get my pot boiling, take it off the heat, add the extract using a spatula to scrape the sides, stir until completely disolved, and then put it back on th heat. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

In a separate pot, heat some water to near boiling. Then, set the LME can(s) in the hot water and let sit for about 5 minutes. Viscosity will be lower and it should be much easier to pour.

It sure is a hassle, isn't it. It was always a toss up for me between dealing with a huge clump of DME or trying to get the LME out of the can. The trick of putting it in a water bath works, as does putting some WARM water into the container and shaking it after you've drained most of it. Don't try it with hot water or it is likely to blow the lid and spray hot sticky syrup everywhere.

I usually scoop out some wort and pour it into the container (I usually use LME from plasitc jugs). After swirling it, I usually get everything.

I do as others have suggested, about 10 mins towards the end of my steep, ill fill one side of my sink with hot water and place the LME bottles in there. By the time I am ready to use them they have become more manageable. Combine that with a small rubber spatula and I can get just about all of it out.

+1 to the hot water bath to heat it up prior to use. Assuming the only extract is LME in the recipe you can add 1/4-1/2 at the beginning of the boil and then add the balance at the last 10 minutes. You will get less carmelization and your beer will be more similar in color to style. When adding the LME be sure to remove the kettle from the heat, stir and dissolve and then place back on the heat. This prevents the possibility of scorching. It is important to have some of the extract in the boil during the boil for proper hop utilization.

Big "Yuppers" to the hot tap water bath for the LME. And I do use hot tap water to rinse out the LME container. Just don't use BOILING wort! I have a gas stove, so when I add the LME, all I do is turn OFF the burner so the LME that sticks to the bottom doesn't scorch. And I THOROUGHLY stir the wort to dissolve ALL of the LME before I turn the burner back on.

glenn514:mug:

I usually scoop out some wort and pour it into the container.

This is close to what I do. The only difference is that I pour cold water in the container. Anyway, kit instructions call for 1 gal of water after you add LME, so I just reverse the order slightly :) Now I'll try to add it later during the boil and see how it affects color and taste. Thanks everybody for suggestions!

Latest posts

Back