How do they do it!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question- How do craft breweries get that unique, distinct flavor that their beers are known for. I guess I want to know if I'm on a wild goose chase trying to replicate a beer like Lagunitas IPA. I've been brewing for about 2 years now and have recently gone all grain with hop bursting. I'm starting to get some more distinct tasting beer that don't just taste like "beer". Still not able to replicate the variety of hop flavors that I find in store bought brews>

There are so many variables, if you gave a rundown of your process it would most likely expedited getting to the root of your issue(s).

If you want a good IPA bursting with hop aroma you have to use about 2X as many hops as you would think and 3-4 ounces dry hop for 5 gallons!

Lagunitas is unique in that they use a lot of crystal malts and mash very high at about 160F. They also hop the poo out of their beers and use a good bit of gypsum I believe.

Good water profile is important to an IPA, like most styles, actually. Fresh ingredients, low mash temps, lots of hops and drink FRESH!

And watch the ferm temps...

Went to a beer fest here in the islands a few months ago and to tell the truth I think my ales are better than most of the craft ales they had there. Many are "thin" tasting. Don't ask me which I tasted it was to long ago. If I have to buy something I usually get something from SN.

I have noticed that my IPAs loose that intense aroma and flavor over time. I always thought it was just in my head or that I was getting use to the flavor. What styles keep their flavor better? I have three taps, and thinking that maybe I should only keep an IPA on one tap so it stays fresher.

Lagunitas is unique in that they use a lot of crystal malts and mash very high at about 160F. They also hop the poo out of their beers and use a good bit of gypsum I believe.

I live down the street from Lagunitas. I went in there one day to ask about their water profile and the changes they make to the city water. I also asked if I could see their water report. They claim they do nothing to alter the city water profile. The city water report is vague so I have no idea if it is good for brewing IPA's, according to lagunitas, it is.

They are good brewmasters, knowing their business.

Some random guy walks in off the street into a brewery. Goes to the brewmaster and asks him, whats in your water and while you are at it, how about telling me the ingredients and how you make your beer? Chances are, the brewmaster will think the person is a lunatic and dumb enough to believe that he will be given the secrets. The brewmaster puts food on the table from his beer being sold. He won't jeopardize that. He's not going to say anything that would be 100% correct. Knowing that what he said would be splattered all over the internet. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Infusion or baggery methods won't produce a beer that has the stability and shelf life as other processes can produce. It is chemically and enzymatically impossible. Trying to duplicate a favorite beer is what it's all about and a lot of fun. It's not a wild goose chase. It is a learning experience.

They do it through detailled, thorough control. They analyze their ingredients, maintain their yeast in a laboratory, digitally control mash temps and fermentation. They study the hell out of the beer they make. The biggest pick their hops first, they can specify and select the best malts.

I got a private tour of a major brewery, their laboratory looked like a university.

When you do something over and over and over, and charge a high price for your product, you need to be a bit of a control freak.

That's what makes cloning their beers so fun.

And as homebrewers, we want to make delicious beer, not necessarily the exact same delicious beer every time.

Latest posts

Back