How do the craft breweries heat their equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
While I brew on my 10 gallon system with propane I got to thinking, how do the big breweries heat their equipment? I'm guessing they'd need one massive flame to heat their kettles? So, do they use some kind of electric heating system?

I'm wondering as I may purchase a 2 bbl system in a year or two and am trying to look at other alternatives besides using propane.

Steam but I would not consider that in a home brewery. As it is too expensive and a secondary source. The steam has to be generated from. Gas or electric. Lots of folks tout electric and if I were to start again. I might go that route. Propane is quick and easy and you need not wort about adding circuits.

from what i remember its nearly imposible to boil in 3bbl kettle using direct fire so pros use steam (stem jacket in bk), there is something about conversion of stem to liquid that makes heating this way very efficient (or other way around)

So I have a friend who is getting rid of this pot that he has that has a outer jacket that I can fill with water then I could use a burner under to make steam. So that would work the same right? It's one of those commercial soup pot. I think its like 30-40 gal and made by moen.

from what i remember its nearly imposible to boil in 3bbl kettle using direct fire so pros use steam (stem jacket in bk), there is something about conversion of stem to liquid that makes heating this way very efficient (or other way around)

There are large brewhouses out there that use direct flame, but its not as efficient as steam, that is why they are more prevalent.

In one restaurant I had we used a 12 gallon steam kettle... Great item but it cost about $4,000.00 USED.. I think it had a 35 or 40 thousand BTU gas burner.

bosco

I can get this pot for free . So how would I use it? Just fill the jacket with some water and just use my propane burner under it to heat the water to create steam inside the jacket?

Here is pic of it.

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

That is similar to a brewhouse steam kettle. I have an electric one. Here is mine,
DSCF2701.jpg

I can get this pot for free . So how would I use it? Just fill the jacket with some water and just use my propane burner under it to heat the water to create steam inside the jacket?

No you have to feed it with steam, its not set up for direct fire.

Buy one of these? Although if the pressure relief works on the jacket, you could try it with water in the jacket and see what happens. I haven't ever done it, but if given the chance I would.
mckenna_steam_boiler_1.jpg

Be careful. Steam creates tremendous amounts of pressure, so you need a safety valve.
By the same token, steam cooling creates a tremendous negative pressure/vacuum.

There's a post or two here where a keggle exploded due to this kind of thing, and I've seen a mash tun at a small distillery that partially imploded due to its valve failing after a boil during the cooldown.
Luckily it was a manuf. defect and was replaced by the maker.

Be Safe!

Steam but I would not consider that in a home brewery. As it is too expensive and a secondary source. The steam has to be generated from. Gas or electric. Lots of folks tout electric and if I were to start again. I might go that route. Propane is quick and easy and you need not wort about adding circuits.

I think Yuri_Rage uses steam in his system.

You cant go wrong with an electric system.
simple to operate, great temperature control. spare parts easy to get and install.

Steam is hard to regulate and control stay away from it if you can

good luck

Back