How do I use my new Boilermaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggrizzly

Reaction score
My family bought me a new Blichmann 10Gal Boilermaker for Christmas. I might add that it is an awesome piece of stainless steel. The LHBS sent them home with a false bottom as well but I don't have any use for that right now. Also, I'm not sure of the purpose of the dip tube. Can someone explain the use of this and how I should be using it. Is the drain valve used for draining the trub after boil? I'm a little unsure of what the valve is doing for me other than a drain. Do I adjust the dip tube to be above my expected layer of trub?
Sorry for so many Newb questions.

the false bottom is for use as a mash tun. point the dip tube down, close the valve, drain mash tun into kettle, boil, chill, drain through valve. repeat every week.

The ball valve is used to drain into the next vessel (fermenter) so you don't have to lift it or siphon.

I have a Boilermaker too and I think it really should come with a stainless barb to attach to the ball valve. When you order from Northern Brewer, it even has a place to add one: Boilermaker Brew Kettle : Northern Brewer

I bought the 1/2" NPT to 1/2" Barb and use 1/2" tubing to drain it to my fermenter. If you try to use the ball valve either without the barb or even with the barb but sans tubing, it will not drain to the bottom of the dip tube. You need the exit point of the hose to be below the diptube bottom so that it will continually pull the siphon until the very bottom.

[...]I have a Boilermaker too and I think it really should come with a stainless barb to attach to the ball valve. When you order from Northern Brewer, it even has a place to add one: Boilermaker Brew Kettle : Northern Brewer[...]

Many of us install a quick disconnect on that ball valve. I use a male cam-lock fitting, not a barb, and I appreciate not having to pay for something I don't need...

Cheers!

Back