How Do I Suppress This Weizen Yeast Character?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewManChoo

Reaction score
I have a roggenbier almost 2 weeks in primary, and I can't stand that weizen yeast flavor. What can I do to minimize the yeast character at this point to make it more drinkable? Cold crash? Rack to secondary and give it some age? Add another flavor to suppress? Add another yeast to compete? Find a friend who likes traditional weizen (clove, banana) flavors?

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp351-bavarian-weizen-yeast

Not sure there is anything you can do "after the fact" to change the flavor profile of a beer brewed with weizen/Belgian yeast strains. I guess the real question would be, if you don't like that flavor (I too can't stand it), why brew with that type of yeast?

Dry hop it or rack it over some fruit.

Same question here... if you don't like the flavors the yeast is expected to produce, why did you use it?

Not sure there is anything you can do "after the fact" to change the flavor profile of a beer brewed with weizen/Belgian yeast strains. I guess the real question would be, if you don't like that flavor (I too can't stand it), why brew with that type of yeast?

I was following a roggenbier recipe, and wanted to experience a blast of rye. I honestly didn't know this yeast would turn out this way. I'm a relatively new beer drinker, so hadn't experienced a true weizen at the time of brewing.

Maybe I'll try mixing the beer at the time of consumption?

Maybe I'll try mixing the beer at the time of consumption?

I've only brewed one Roggenbier and I found it difficult to drink. The flavor wasn't the issue, rather it was the gear oil-like consistency that I couldn't get past. I ended up mixing the last gallon or so 50/50 with a Hefeweizen when I poured it, which helped. I won't be brewing another one of those.

...I'm a relatively new beer drinker...

I think you're best option here is to buy a few single bottles of various styles and try them. That way, you'll learn what to expect from all the ingredients you might use in your homebrews- yeast, hops, and malts (a lot of what we use, the big guys use, too). You'll also learn what flavors you like and don't like without having made 23L of something you might hate.

Gelatin is very good at removing the yeast from suspension in finished beer which will remove their contribution. However the esters are already present, they will fade in time. The Rye grain flavor will out last the esters once yeast removed. If you try to bottle condition you will undo the yeast reduction from the gelatin as it is not 100%, fermentation will give them an opportunity to multiply even if you add a different yeast.

Back