How do I mix and scale up homemade oxiclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cro Magnon

Reaction score
I've got some Hydrogen peroxide and washing soda. I've read to mix equal parts water and peroxide and washing soda - meaning for eg. 1 cup water + 1/2 cup each of h2O2 and washing soda. THing is the peroxide is a 35% solution. It says to dilute it to a 3% solution if the need arises. Would this be a need? And secondly, how do I scale this up. For eg if I'm washing like 15 bottles. Do I measure the volume of water first and then accordingly the others? So if I use 5 litres of water, I'm using 2.5 litres of peroxide and washing soda??? Seems like a lot!

I'm not sure why you would want to do this (mix hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate).
My understanding is that sodium percarbonate (the main ingredient - 65% or so - in oxiclean) is a cheap and convenient way to generate hydrogen peroxide; cheaper than buying the 3% hydrogen peroxide mix with 97% water.
If you just want the bleaching action, and you do already have hydrogen peroxide, why not use the hydrogen peroxide alone without adding the sodium carbonate?

Sodium percarbonate is 2 Na2CO3 plus 3 H2O2. So if you wanted exactly the same ratio, you'd need 2/3 Na2CO3 plus 1/3 H2O2 by weight. Since your H2O2 is 35%, I think you'd need 2 parts washing soda and 3 parts 35% hydrogen peroxide by weight.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this (mix hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate).
My understanding is that sodium percarbonate (the main ingredient - 65% or so - in oxiclean) is a cheap and convenient way to generate hydrogen peroxide; cheaper than buying the 3% hydrogen peroxide mix with 97% water.
If you just want the bleaching action, and you do already have hydrogen peroxide, why not use the hydrogen peroxide alone without adding the sodium carbonate?

Sodium percarbonate is 2 Na2CO3 plus 3 H2O2. So if you wanted exactly the same ratio, you'd need 2/3 Na2CO3 plus 1/3 H2O2 by weight. Since your H2O2 is 35%, I think you'd need 2 parts washing soda and 3 parts 35% hydrogen peroxide by weight.
Hey thanks for your reply. The only reason I considered this is because I was advised to use oxiclean, which we don't get here, so I found recipe to make it at home....but I think I'm missing something...you say why would I want to make percarbonate if I already have hydrogen peroxide? So is the only reason percabonate is an ingredient in oxiclean, to release the peroxide as the desired cleaning agent? So you're saying a 3% peroxide solution is all the cleaning I need to clean bottles, fermenters etc? What about the bleaching effect? I happened to burn myself pretty bad with the 35% solution...instantly bleached my fingers and took 20 mins of continuous, vigorous washing to remove. That being said I know 3% H2O2 has infinite uses as a cleaner....so I'm not sure what to do. I've just been using dishwashing detergent but on another thread someone was saying it leaves a residue which may cause some problems.

No, I was not saying that 3% hydrogen peroxide is all you need for cleaning. It might do the job for sanitizing, after cleaning. I do not know. I have never used 3% hydrogen peroxide for brewing purposes.

Here is an interesting article on a brewing specific cleaning problem: The removal and prevention of beer stone

Ah ok....sanitizing is not an issue for me cos I have iodophor. It's only cleaning. Can I use just plain washing soda then? Thanks for the link will check it out!

Back