How Do I, Like, Fix My "Like" Function?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singletrack

Because it's judgement that defeats us.
Reaction score
I, like, really Like most of your clever posts, but I can't get my "Like" button to do anything. If I "Like" a post, it shows the appropriate "Singletrack Likes This" thing on the post. But then if I click elsewhere and come back, my Like is gone! According to my profile, I have given 122 Likes, and I have been stuck on that number for, like, a really long time. I have given maybe hundreds of additional Likes that haven't registered, including your posts, I'm sure.

This is a serious problem that must be fixed, but Admin has not helped me so far. Please help me Like your posts. What's wrong?

I, like, really Like most of your clever posts, but I can't get my "Like" button to do anything. If I "Like" a post, it shows the appropriate "Singletrack Likes This" thing on the post. But then if I click elsewhere and come back, my Like is gone! According to my profile, I have given 122 Likes, and I have been stuck on that number for, like, a really long time. I have given maybe hundreds of additional Likes that haven't registered, including your posts, I'm sure.

This is a serious problem that must be fixed, but Admin has not helped me so far. Please help me Like your posts. What's wrong?

If you don't know how to help, please at least Like this post asking how to Like your posts, so I can, like, know that you'd like to help me Like, if only you, like, knew how.

Are you on the mobile version, which like sort of sucks?

I rarely use my phone, but when I do I use the desktop version for mobile. It's, like, so much better than the mobile version.

No, on my computer. I could never even find a Like button on the mobile version.

Singletrack Likes that you are trying to help.

(Pathetic way to Like, isn't it.)

Maybe it's one of my internet settings?

Wait! I'm sure this is important: Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10. :)

Wait! I'm sure this is important: Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10. :)

There I was all this time thinking you were like, a hater with your "like" frugality.

I like that you want to like more. It's the thought that counts.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you like this post and will add a dancing banana to convey my happiness.

Here is said terpsichorean ...... :ban:

No Gavin. Never liked any of your schtick. :fro:

...which reminds me of the real reason I need to Like. I can sometimes be an ass. No, really. It happens. Then, when the offended party doesn't get offended, the least I can do is Like their non-offensive reply post. And I'm all about doing the least I can.

Wow, now I making me sick. Please fix the Like before I have to divulge my hope and dream here.

Okay, yeah, Gavin. Enjoyed the banana. Singletrack Likes This

Ugh

Just looked and it appears as though "likes" are a javascript script. There are a few reasons for it acting up. Not to be confused with Java for which there is an update, java is a scripting language so it has to be enabled. Try allowing scripting. Here are the steps from Microsoft support.

Windows Internet Explorer

(all versions except Pocket Internet Explorer)
Note To allow scripting on this Web site only, and to leave scripting disabled in the Internet zone, add this Web site to the Trusted sites zone.

1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
2. Click the Internet zone.
3. If you do not have to customize your Internet security settings, click Default Level. Then do step 4

If you have to customize your Internet security settings, follow these steps:
a. Click Custom Level.
b. In the Security Settings – Internet Zone dialog box, click Enable for Active Scripting in the Scripting section.

4. Click the Back button to return to the previous page, and then click the Refresh button to run scripts.

If that doesn't do it, report back. We'll try something different.

Just looked and it appears as though "likes" are a javascript script. There are a few reasons for it acting up. Not to be confused with Java for which there is an update, java is a scripting language so it has to be enabled. Try allowing scripting. Here are the steps from Microsoft support.

Windows Internet Explorer

(all versions except Pocket Internet Explorer)
Note To allow scripting on this Web site only, and to leave scripting disabled in the Internet zone, add this Web site to the Trusted sites zone.

1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
2. Click the Internet zone.
3. If you do not have to customize your Internet security settings, click Default Level. Then do step 4

If you have to customize your Internet security settings, follow these steps:
a. Click Custom Level.
b. In the Security Settings – Internet Zone dialog box, click Enable for Active Scripting in the Scripting section.

4. Click the Back button to return to the previous page, and then click the Refresh button to run scripts.

If that doesn't do it, report back. We'll try something different.

I'm not ruling anything out, but he says that the HBT site responds and shows the like is recorded on the post. It would seem that everything on the client side worked.

Yeah, my active scripting was already enabled. Thanks for the try. I liked your post, but of course it didn't take.

*taunts you and likes Gavin's posts*

Sure, waste your Likes if you want. You start using them like that and they will lose their significance.

Mine are so special. Clearly Gavin has been trying to earn a Singletrack Like for months. He's been helping new brewers, publishing articles, posting photos of his process, giving actual helpful advice, and making the brewing world a better place -- all in the pursuit of the coveted Singletrack Like. And yet...

We'll carry you, just tell us which posts you like and we'll give them a like by proxy.

Wait, I got a Bill Withers song coming on...

Like through me,
When you can't click
and I'll be your like proxy
I'll spread the digital love

You just call on me brother
when you need to like
We all need somebody
to like for us

Not sure about "people." They're so hard to pin down. Tell me who they are, and I will inquire about their browser usage.

Back