How do i know which yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
Be brewed 4 kits. All of which have turned out fine and tasted really good. But I noticed the two batches I brewed with the same yeast packets that came with the kit tasted the same.

I want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

How do I know which yeasts to use or what to pair with what beer?
How do I know how many different yeasts there are?
How do I know to use dry or liquid (have only used dry so far)

Any help is appreciated!!

Let me know what you want to brew and ill let you know what yeast to use lol. But seriously there are hundreds of strains of brewers yeast out there. I find that US-05 for most American ales works really well. And US-04 or Nottingham for British ales those are all dry yeast. But its been awhile since I've used dry yeast myself. Ever since I started my frozen yeast bank and started washing yeast.

bratrules said:
Let me know what you want to brew and ill let you know what yeast to use lol. But seriously there are hundreds of strains of brewers yeast out there. I find that US-05 for most American ales works really well. And US-04 or Nottingham for British ales those are all dry yeast.

I and many others have brewed award winning beers with Us-05, 04 and Nottingham. ( I mention these three and not others because I've not had experience with other dry yeasts.) the make it easy to get an adequate pitch.

Liquid yeast let you really target a specific style.

If you are ever in San Diego stop by the the White Labs Taproom. They drew on a big home brewing system, split the wort and pitch different yeasts into each. The resulting beers taste totally different.

Back