How do I HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Reaction score
I have upgraded my plastic mashing/kettle buckets to a stainless steel one and I thought I'd get a pump as well so I could make a HERMS system and use my wort chiller as a coil submerged in my kettle.

I've done a lot of research on HERMS but there are a couple of things I'm not really sure on, like when do I actually turn the pump on? Do I need to let the strike water sit in the mash tun with the grain for a bit before I start circulating or so I turn the pump on straight away after dough-in is complete?

With the return pipe, does it need to go below the water level in the MT or just on top?

I have some more questions but I won't ask too much right now.

Thanks in advance.

You can start recirculating immediately. The trick is to start slow, and not get too much suction going on the grain bed so that it doesn't compact and become stuck.
I typically don't start recirculating right away. My thought is there is no reason until temps begin to drop, so I usually wait 10 or 15 minutes.
As for the return, a soft hose laying on the surface, or a way to sprinkle it evenly is best.

Hey Acidrain thanks for your response. When you first got a HERMS did you do a practice run with just water to "calibrate" temperatures between the HLT and mash tun? And if so did you find there was a difference between using only water a day then adding grain?

Hey Acidrain thanks for your response. When you first got a HERMS did you do a practice run with just water to "calibrate" temperatures between the HLT and mash tun? And if so did you find there was a difference between using only water a day then adding grain?

The temps in each find a equilibrium in each scenario. Grain behaves the same as water in this regard.

As for measuring the temp of the mash, I have found that placing the probe at the MLT return to be the place where the least amount of temp variance between the HLT/MLT to occur.

Typically a 3 degree differential.

My heating controller broke so I can't set up my HERMS until that's fixed now. Will probably work on a brewpi but that's another story. Anyway, someone sent me this link: http://www.philrobins.org.uk/ a British homebrewer who has made a HERMS system and seeing the pictures on his setup as well as his explanations have also been really helpful.

Back