How do I get rid of debris in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nioreh

Reaction score
Hey

I have currently my 1st beer, an extract-brewed english bitter, sitting in secondary fermentation. However, I scooped up a sample when I had just siphoned it, and there was a considerable amount of small debris in it. Probably parts of hops that were not filtered away properly.

I was wondering, how do I get rid of those? I plan to proceed with siphoning the beer over into another bucket, with a bottle filler attached, and then fill up the bottles. But this will not get rid of the debris swimming around?

Also, if you can fit it in a fridge, put it in there for a couple days before racking and it will help much of the remaining yeast etc. fall out of suspension. Do a search on cold crashing.

If all else fails, I like to use a paint strainer bag from my local hardware store when I rack to the bottling bucket. I just soak the bag in my sanitizer then wring it out, line my bottling bucket with it, and siphon my beer into it. Works pretty dang good.

Cold crashing and time are the best ways to clear up a beer. The longer a beer sits in secondary, the more yeast and proteins will settle out into the yeast cake. If your beer is meant to me had when it's fresh- I suggest cold crashing- sticking the beer in the fridge for a few days- to force the yeast into a dormant state, and fall out of suspension.

My advice at this point is cold crashing (if you can). In the future Irish Moss works well but you need to use it during the boil as opposed to post fermentation. Cold crashing really works wonders.

I rack it cold into a keg, then let it condition closer to ferm temps. I would do the same with bottles if I were using them.

So, best thing is to cold crash BEFORE bottling/kegging?

I guess the other option is to leave teh bear in a carboy until it is clear then bottle/keg

So, best thing is to cold crash BEFORE bottling/kegging?

I guess the other option is to leave teh bear in a carboy until it is clear then bottle/keg

Right. The idea is to keep as much of the gunk out of your keg or bottle. So give it time to settle in primary on it's own, then cold crash and rack. I generally use a whirlfloc tablet during the boil which helps too. Just be careful when you rack not to stir up the junk that's sleeping on the bottom. You should still have plenty of yeast left to eat up your priming sugar, but hopefully no hop sludge etc.

Latest posts

Back