How do i calculate Final Gravity with adjunct additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6midgets

Big & Tall Brewing
Reaction score
I recently brewed an American stout with a starting gravity of 1.085. I fermented with Sake yeast from maniacal yeast mixed with a pack of S-04. During the first three days of fermentation i added 12 oz. of maple syrup a day for three days. In total i added 36 oz. of organic maple syrup to the fermentation. The beer finished with a final gravity of 1.012. How do i figure the final gravity with the additions of the added adjuncts?

Final Gravity is Final Gravity, doesn't matter how you got there. No "correction" needed.

At the other end, whatever tool you used to calculate the 1.085 value, go back to it and add in all the post-pitch fermentables and it should spit out the adjusted "Original Gravity"...

Cheers!

I recently brewed an American stout with a starting gravity of 1.085. I fermented with Sake yeast from maniacal yeast mixed with a pack of S-04. During the first three days of fermentation i added 12 oz. of maple syrup a day for three days. In total i added 36 oz. of organic maple syrup to the fermentation. The beer finished with a final gravity of 1.012. How do i figure the final gravity with the additions of the added adjuncts?

The terminal specific gravity is the final gravity (FG). To work backwards to figure out the projected original gravity (OG), simply add the volume multiplied by the gravity points per volume and divide by the total volume. It is a fairly safe to assume no / insignificant volume change from the maple syrup additions. Provided you’re brewing a 5 gal batch, this comes to:

OG = [(5 x 85) + (2.25 lb x 30 ppg)] / 5 gal = 1.099
FG = 1.012
ABV = 11.4%

The terminal specific gravity is the final gravity (FG). To work backwards to figure out the projected original gravity (OG), simply add the volume multiplied by the gravity points per volume and divide by the total volume. It is a fairly safe to assume no / insignificant volume change from the maple syrup additions. Provided you’re brewing a 5 gal batch, this comes to:

OG = [(5 x 85) + (2.25 lb x 30 ppg)] / 5 gal = 1.099
FG = 1.012
ABV = 11.4%
thanks for the info

Final Gravity is Final Gravity, doesn't matter how you got there. No "correction" needed.

At the other end, whatever tool you used to calculate the 1.085 value, go back to it and add in all the post-pitch fermentables and it should spit out the adjusted "Original Gravity"...

Cheers!
Thanks for this, day_trippr. I'm about to add 2# of chocolate nibs that I soaked in 75ml of vodka, but don't see anywhere in BeerSmith 3 to add alcohol content to Misc. additions. The nibs are already in my BeerSmith calculations. Can I just take my final gravity before the nibs and compare to final gravity with the vodka-soaked nibs? I'm thinking it won't be that easy, eh?

Never occurred to me to have BS deal with alcohol additions in predicting "Final Gravity" - and now I see it really isn't equipped to do so :)

But, one can find the specific gravity of proof spirits on line; for 80 proof an SG of 0.95 seems to be the consensus.
With that in hand I suppose one could use the Dilution tool, like so - assuming a quart of rum in this case added into 5 gallons of 1.015 FG beer:

1704299625973.png

Cheers!

Never occurred to me to have BS deal with alcohol additions in predicting "Final Gravity" - and now I see it really isn't equipped to do so :)

But, one can find the specific gravity of proof spirits on line; for 80 proof an SG of 0.95 seems to be the consensus.
With that in hand I suppose one could use the Dilution tool, like so - assuming a quart of rum in this case added into 5 gallons of 1.015 FG beer:

View attachment 838091

Cheers!
Great idea, day–trippr! Cheers!

Back