How did you find us?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s what I was looking at going with but the more I read I’m seeing that a 3 kettle is better for efficiency because you don’t sparge, and just recirculating doesn’t do the same job pulling more sugars out. I’ve seen videos where the brewer was trying to get a high ABV but didn’t have enough room for all the grain so they split the grain in half then used the wort that they got from the first half and used that for the second half. So I’m not sure how true that is.

i pull 83% effec with a fly sparge with that system....and can squeeze a bit more out and get it up to ~90% with a second deccoction step at 162f? but that's usually with ~20lbs malt, give or take 2-3.....

i pull 83% effec with a fly sparge with that system....and can squeeze a bit more out and get it up to ~90% with a second deccoction step at 162f? but that's usually with ~20lbs malt, give or take 2-
So you still sparge? Everything I’ve been reading says you don’t have to with a RIMS system.

So you still sparge? Everything I’ve been reading says you don’t have to with a RIMS system.

to tell the truth, i still don't even know what a RIMS system is....i've heard lots of fancy acronyms since being here, and honestly haven't really look into what they mean, i'm happy just using my cooler, cracking the valve for a slow trickle, and pouring water to keep the level above the grain bed....

HERMS is another one i don't, but see a lot!

Welcome Aboard! And Happy learning, just thought i'd show you my traditional setup doesn't take much space to store....sorry if i got off topic :mug:

Not at all I’ll take all the info I can get thanks! 🍻🍻

well, my most useful contribution to these forums really is just the fact i malt my own barley...otherwise i just hang out here goofin off with the guys playing crossword puzzles...

(but there are a lot people that i've learned useful things about brewing from too!

and for the record, googling homemalting is how I found this forum!

well, my most useful contribution to these forums really is just the fact i malt my own barley...otherwise i just hang out here goofin off with the guys playing crossword puzzles...

(but there are a lot people that i've learned useful things about brewing from too!

and for the record, googling homemalting is how I found this forum!
Are the grains cheaper malting them yourself?

Are the grains cheaper malting them yourself?

well up until this year when they ~doubled the price of a 50lb sack of barley, it was only $13 , and that get's me about 42lbs of malt...now it's still cheap but a sack costs $23 last i was in there....

malting is how i finally achieved a 99cent twelver! (now it's back to $1.30 or so :()

Welcome! :mug:

Please let us know how you found HomeBrewTalk.com ....
So glad I found this site! I think I’ve seen some references in a distillers forum, and the Goog brought me straight here as a source for beer info. I’m a whiskey girl, but am trying to broaden my beverage horizons.

Welcome! :mug:

Please let us know how you found HomeBrewTalk.com ....
I was meditating on how to take over the world, you know, that thing everyone does at least twice a day.. And I got a vision that my time would be better spent brewing at home than making plans for world domination. So having sold off my doomsday weapons I am now here, approaching the people on this site for information that doesn't really seem to be anywhere else.
Happy To Be Here GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

Duck Duck Go search for Homebrew Equipment and Supplies. This forum popped up as one of the links, I started to read a little bit of it and got HOOKED!! 😄😄😄

I’ve started dabbling in home brewing recently and was wondering what the stuff at the top of my carboy was, worried that it was dead yeast (it looks like the results of a cement mixer shot) and this site was the top Google result.
I foolishly mixed it back into my brew before finding out from youse what it was…

Hello, have been a long-time forum stalker for at least 10 years. My housemates and I started brewing extract in med school, and made the jump to all-grain not long after; since then have been brewing on and off as time allows. Finally asked myself, “why haven’t I signed up?” I have learned a tremendous amount over the years from reading all the insightful posts - not sure why I didn’t join the community until now.

I googled looking for a kombucha forum. I have been a home brewer for over a decad, but recently took a brewmaster position at my local coffee shop. We are a wholesaler, and are working to supply one company with 100, 5 gallon kegs a month, and more. I am currently looking for information on how high of a concen can I brew with.

I was Googleing (a new word) for strike/sparge water calculations for my first brew in the Vevor and your site came up. I had used BIAB. Before that, a number of years ago, I did extract clones. Right now I brew IPA's like many people today.

Back