How did I do with this stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just made myself a stir plate using junk I had lying around. Pretty pleased with it. Only thing I had to buy new was the stir pills from Aliexpress, about $10 for a 7-pack of different sizes.

I don't have an Erlenmeyer flask, and they seem hard to get and mega expensive in New Zealand. So for now I'm rolling with a coffee plunger which holds about 900ml. It's the only glass vessel I have that has a flat bottom - I was hoping to use a 2 litre growler but those all have concave bottoms on them and the stir pill won't sit in the middle.

Got a computer fan driving it, the magnets from an old hard drive blu-tacked in place. Wooden box I made up with a bit of glass scavenged off an old painting and cut to size. More blu-tack to raise the glass to the right height. Using an Arduino with potentiometer to power the fan and adjust the speed.

Anyone forsee any issues using a coffee plunger instead of a flask? Needs tin foil over the top obviously. And is my whirlpool about the right size? With 600ml of water the whirlpool is driving about half way down. I was told you only need a small whirlpool but these fans actually have a minimum speed, you can't actually set them to go below 20% of max rpm.

And if I want to go larger than 900ml / 1 quart for my starter, what other vessels work other than erlenmeyer flasks?

Any feedback welcome. Cheers.

IMG_20160606_160254.jpg

That will work for small starters. I used a plastic container until the stir plate quit. New one lacked the power to spin the stir bar reliably so I had to buy a glass flask.

RubberMaidResize.jpg

Back