How could I be so stupid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaddyWa

Reaction score
So I currently have four different batches going on in my freezer (which I converted to a fermentation chamber). Tonight I went to keg one that was finished and as I was locking the lid on the keg down to hook the co2 up...I noticed tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of the yeast cake in the bucket. Yep...I had accidentally transferred the batch that I brewed on Sunday night. I know I know...I should have labeled the buckets. I didn’t know what else to do so I siphoned the beer back into the bucket and put the lid on. Outside of the risk of infection and oxidation..how badly did I mess this up? I’m worried about stalled fermentation or off flavors.

If you sanitized your keg prior to transfer, weren't to splashy and didn't leave your bucket open too long, you'll probably be okay. Might be good to take final gravity readings in the future, that would have given you a big clue, labels are good too.

I had taken a FG reading the night before and just got the buckets messed up. I was worried given the beer was still clearly in the process of active fermentation. Hopefully it picks up where it left off. We’ll see how it turns out. Thanks for the input.

You're probably fine. At worst, it will take a bit longer to finish up from the overall lack of yeast. It may oxidate a little, but if that's the worst that happens I would call it a win.

Should have just let it finish up in the keg. I'm guessing it'll be fine either way as it couldn't have had much going on or you would have noticed all the bubbles/foam on top. You will get bubbles being released due to agitation, pressure changes even if it was finished.

That's nothing for stupid. I somehow poured an ounce of pure star San into the batch instead of the bottling bucket.
Drank it anyway. What's the worst that can happen?

It's probably going to be fine, and you'll go on to brew another day even if it isn't.

I use magic marker on my buckets to label them, I always mark out the old batch and just write a new one in a fresh place. The marker wears off eventually anyway. Ya, my buckets are all "marked up", but I got tired of trying to figure out which was which, and yes bottling the wrong beer. I tried using masking tape as labels but it comes off too easily. Just a thought!

Yeah I'd have probably just left it in the keg and called it a lesson. I use masking tape and a sharpie to label all my brews though and I gravity read them when I transfer.

Back