How cool before I can move to ferm bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
I have a keggle and it is my first time using it and want to know at what temp can I move to my primary (bucket)then top up. I have noticed the bottom of the pot holds a good amount of heat and just want to get it out ASAP so I can add cold water get it to 70 and pitch. Thanks, MB

Most folks try to cool to pitching temps before transfering to the fermenter, but I suppose you could move your wort over and then let it cool. I guess I dont know what the max temp is for a plastic bucket.

I say top it up in the keggle to bring the temp down, then transfer at pitching temps.

Buckets say 140. I wouldn't. Buckets take longer to cool. If you can get the bottom in cold water it won't hold heat underneath.

I normally use a wort chiller in my brew pot before transferring to my plastic fermenter based on my *assumption* that hot liquid + plastic bucket = possibly bad combination. To help speed up the cooling process, I also fill a sink with cold water and ice in combination with using the wort chiller. I'm a research scientist for a biofuels firm and my primary duties involve running experiments evaluating yeast metabolism and ethanol production. Its a similar process to brewing (heating material, cooling it, adding yeast, distilling ethanol) and we have some neat toys to help cool down mash, one of which is a large piece of sterilizeable metal that looks like a manhole cover with lots of metal rods sticking out of it. We freeze it and then submerge it, which allows for a huge amount of heat transfer (cooling of the mash) very quickly. I've never tried it at home since my chiller/ice water works fine for me, but you could attempt this if you put a bunch of sanitized metal forks, knives, etc in a grain bag, put it in the freezer, and then dipped it in your hot wort for a few minutes. Your yeast should have instructions on how far to cool it but I typically cool to about 30 Celsius.

I never thought of that. I guess I would toss them in a sanitized bag before freezing. Might try that next brew in combo of a ice bath.

Since you're doing your boil in a keggle,it'd be wise to get/make a wort chiller. There should be stickies on these up at the top.

I almost got the stuff to make a chiller today but could not pull the trigger. 40 bu is for 20' of 3/8. Just not a good time to spend the extra cheese. I got it down with cold water then put the semi cooled water in a rope handled hub with water running in it. It worked ok but I need to figure a way to get some dough for the immersion chiller. Thanks for the advice, MB

The HDPE fermenter buckets can withstand 230 F. indefinitly and 260 F. for a short period of time. I have poured wort that was still boiling directly into the bucket without any effects noticeable at all.

I have a keggle and it is my first time using it and want to know at what temp can I move to my primary (bucket)then top up.

I suppose you have already considered hot-side aeration, but in case you haven't, most of the stuff I've both read and heard advise against pouring hot wort. The process will introduce a lot of oxygen which may lead to premature staling and some other issues.

Back