How clear should a saison be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first saison using Belle Saison. It's finished and tastes great, but I have been waiting to see if it will clear. It looks like there is yeast in suspension.... It's been 10 days and I will leave it for a few more but usually my samples are clearer.....

I've only had one saison ever so I don't know what it's supposed to be like. I'll say this, I really like the pepper taste in the beer style. Very refreshing

Saisons arent really "supposed" to be anything except very dry. Thats the whole spirit fo the style. Ive made dozens of them. Depending on the yeast, some get very clear, others stay relatively cloudy

Saisons arent really "supposed" to be anything except very dry. Thats the whole spirit fo the style. Ive made dozens of them. Depending on the yeast, some get very clear, others stay relatively cloudy

Ok. Thanks for the info. I liked the one I had, I'll see how this one turns out.

At ten days, it may still be finishing up, or cleaning up after fermentation is done. Here's a shot of mine, with lacing;

All comes down to your process and ingredients. You gave very little information. Typically, I get clear saisons, but I don't use a ton of high protein malt like wheat, rye, oat. If you use enough wheat, rye, oat malt, torrified, or whatever you will get a cloudy beer. You will also get a cloudy beer if you don't use whirfloc or irish moss unless you are willing to cold crash for an extended period of time.

While I prefer to have a clear beer when the style calls for it, but I don't get overly hung up on it. If it tastes good, it tastes good.

Cold crash for 5 days (33F), see what it looks like. This will get most of the yeast out for certain, and a fair amount of other sediment.
If you still want more clarity, hit it with gelatin while cold.

If you don't have access to equipment/something for cold crashing, try Super-Kleer, which is really good and costs ~$3

It all depends on your taste.
I like my saisons to cold condition for about 1 week before I drink them. Some people like to chill a bottle and drink it right when it gets to serving temps.

I don't like a kegged saison though. I feel it drops too much of the suspended yeast & haze that give it the characteristic flavors.
Just my opinions. I suppose i'll take a brow beating from someone saying "haze doesn't have a taste".

I don't think I've ever seen a "clear" saison. Well, except for Unionrdr's, now. Even all the commercial examples I've tried have been pretty hazy. Note that's "haze", and not "yeast" or "sediment" I'm talking about. A few days cold-crashing should drop out any yeast or sediment.

I'd say exactly as clear as it finished. I've had a handful of commercial examples, none of them were as clear as the 2 union posted. I've brewed 2, and they weren't clear, I was BIF'd a couple of HB's and its not clear either.

It probably depends more on the grist than the yeast anyway. Wheat & oats both will contribute quite a bit of haze, that might clear out with cold crashing or cold conditioning.

I don't care, saison are yummy.

No gelatin. No cold-crash.

Sour Saison
a18ceb34f3a7828321bd9a92cb99bfdb_640x640.jpg
\

Most saisons I've had (commercial) are a bit cloudy and most of the saisons I've made have a little cloudiness to them. The one pictured above came out the clearest, by far, without any finings.

Saisons can be cloudy, depending on the grains used. I do a lot of them with, rye, oats or wheat and they usually are fairly cloudy. The ones I have added brett to and let go for months can get very clear.

So the answer to the original question is....... It depends.

Good night! Those are some nice looking brews.

My grain bill was 8lbs of Pilsner. 1 lb malted wheat. 1 lb of Munich light.

I'm not really concerned about clarity just curious about this style. It fermented weird for me. Took longer to start then shot off in 48 hrs.

Back