How can I trip a Kegerator to get colder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
How can I trip a Kegerator to get colder? Specifically a Beverage-Air Bam 23 2 tap.

My cousin got a one of these Kegerators and it is sweet, but he wants to get it colder. I suggested an external controller but a couple of questions arose:
How do you fool the built in internal thermometer from shutting down the kegerator.
Can you just put a piece of foam on the probe to insulate it?
Does anyone know the circuity to fool it or bypass it?

I don't know what else to ask as it not my fridge but I also want to say he bought it new so there is some sort of warranty. I told him that if he fools with the internals that it would probably void it but he wants options to get it colder.

There are usually set screws built into the temp. control box, 1 or 2 small screws next to the knob (he'll need to take the knob off and the housing to get to them) one of them adjusts the thermometer. Once he figures out which one, he can turn it just a little to make it colder. He should be able to find an exploded diagram of the thermostat online just by searching for it. If he's careful and just adjusts a set screw, he will not affect the warranty.
However, since he bought it new, have him look at the book that came with it to see how cold it gets and how cold it's supposed to get. If it's supposed to get colder than it does, he can call it in for a warranty repair. The repairman will adjust the set screw for him and show him how in the process.

I'm not sure I'd go screwing around with a new $2900 unit (return it and buy something that will work as desired), but if you insist:

Most devices of this type have a schematic posted inside the unit - usually near where the power comes in. Look for it. Bypassing the current thermostat should be very easy - one of the power wires (should be the black one) will be switched by the thermostat - track it down. Once you've located the thermostat, remove the switched power wires (should be black) and put your new thermostat inline there. Make sure you honor ground wiring...

Latest posts

Back