How can I purposefully lose aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
So I have a nice ale which I dry hopped for three days with ahtanum and bottled.

Now, a week later, I have this very strong hoppy aroma (which I was shooting for) that smells quite a bit like garlic and grass (which I was not looking for). The bottles haven't finished carbonating obviously, but the beer doesn't have the citrusy smell I wanted (I should have used cascade).

I had planned to give this batch away as gifts, but I am not pleased with the smell. Is there any technique out there I can use to purposefully lose some of the aroma while the bottles are still carbonating? I know that "waiting" would probably do the trick, but I have about 4 days before I give the batch out as gifts.

Any thoughts?

Letting them sit is the easiest way to let hop aromas fade, although it'll take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple months, which I know doesn't solve your 4-day dilemma.

Maybe you could put a "do not drink before ____" sticker on it and tell them it still needs to be aged?

It sounds like you used a bunch of hops in your dry hopping. How much? I read an article some time ago somewhere that I have now forgotten. I don't remember all of the specifics, but with bottles you generally open them and combine them into a sanitized pitcher. Then with a second sanitized pitcher you pour them back and forth allowing the CO2 to escape and it will take the aromas with it. Then you rebottle them with more corn sugar. I think that this will defeat your dry hopping instead of lessening it, so I wouldn't do it. Age will be your best friend.

drainbamage said:
Letting them sit is the easiest way to let hop aromas fade, although it'll take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple months, which I know doesn't solve your 4-day dilemma. Maybe you could put a "do not drink before ____" sticker on it and tell them it still needs to be aged?

This. +1. People will be impressed, too.

I thought about the sticker idea. But it may just make more sense to wait until January and dish them out as a "post vacations" gift, or make a back up batch and give that beer out in January.

I used about an ounce of hops (30 grams) per 5 gallons. I thought that maybe heating the room where the beer is stored might help, but it may do nothing.

Latest posts

Back