How can I figure out how fermentable fruit juice is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash568

Reaction score
I'm doing a pineapple saison this weekend and wanted to know how I can account for the sugars from the pineapple juice. I'll be adding it at flameout in a frozen chunk to help cool the wort as well. Right now my grain bill puts me at 1.048 OG but I guess just assume it will be higher with the added sugar from the juice?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm doing a pineapple saison this weekend and wanted to know how I can account for the sugars from the pineapple juice. I'll be adding it at flameout in a frozen chunk to help cool the wort as well. Right now my grain bill puts me at 1.048 OG but I guess just assume it will be higher with the added sugar from the juice?

Good luck w/ your Saison, I am eager to bottle a citra saison I just brewed two weeks ago. What yeast are you using? Dupont Strain?

Yea I would just guess really, it is more of a pain to try and figure it out but you can try doing some searching. The take home is that unless it is a puree or a really thick syrup, or you are adding a few pounds, then you can probably just assume that the sugar is about the same or slightly higher than your OG, therefore the OG of your wort won't change hardly at all, maybe raise a point or two, but you will most likely just have higher volume of close to the same concentration wort.:mug:

isnt aeration of the wort pre pitching a good thing or have I been mislead this whole time?? I did use this process to add the pineapple juice still and didnt affect gravity at all still came in at 1.048 as predicted by brewtoad.

isnt aeration of the wort pre pitching a good thing or have I been mislead this whole time?? I did use this process to add the pineapple juice still and didnt affect gravity at all still came in at 1.048 as predicted by brewtoad.

Aeration is a must before pitching but only after the wort cools to less than 80*.(I think thats the number anyway.:confused:)

I've looked into this a lot today and seems pretty split on whether hot side aeration is actually something to worry about or not. Either way I did it and now I'll wait to see the results I guess

Yea, I would find other things to worry about than the O2 present in the frozen pineapple juice.

Does the package of juice list grams of sugar per serving?
I would assume those simple sugars will ferment.

Or I think you could just take an OG on the juice and assign points to the fermentables in the juice.

How much, and what kind of juice would help you get an answer.

When I added Apple Juice and Apple Juice concentrate into Brewtarget, I went by the nutrition information to figure out how much total sugar was in each. I haven't used pineapple juice before, but a quick search shows it is ~99.88% simple sugars (glucose, sucrose, fructose) so any points you get from the pineapple juice you can assume will ferment out entirely.

Back