How big of a pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyKoby

Reaction score
I am looking for a pot for brewing 5 gallon all grain, New to this. What size pot do you recommend for this for boiling wart?

Thank you,
Grumpy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

The minimum pot for 5 gallon batch full boils is 7-8 gallons. This will leave enough room for boil-off and boil-overs. 10gal is recommended.

You're most likely going to be using close to 7 gallons at the start of your boil. I started with an 8 gallon kettle, but wish I had done 10 just for the extra headspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depending on your pot dimensions, how long and how vigorously you boil, you'll evaporate somewhere in the 1-2+ gallon range. That means, you need to start with 7ish gallons of wort for a 5 gallon batch. 8 gallons would be the bare minimum for kettle size. 10 gallons will give you a little extra breathing room. I wouldn't turn down a free 8 gallon kettle, but if you are making a purchase, get the 10 gallon.

I started small and had to buy multiple times. It depends on your burner. If you are like me I started on the stove. I then got a ten gallon pot and burner out doors. I wish I had bout me a 15 to begin with. You have the capacity to do larger boils, eliminate the boil-over drama. I would look a pot that has a height that is twice the diameter.

I agree with the consensus, that 10 gallons is the minimum (I use my 8 gallon pot for sparge water now). But I'm moving to longer boils with some beers, and I'm finding I wish I'd gone with the 15 gallon kettle. For what that's worth.

Here's another vote for the 10g pot, it just makes things much easier/cleaner. I did start out with an 8 gallon aluminum pot from target for under $25 and recently upgraded when I found a deal on craigslist for the 10g stainless pot. I brewed many a biab batch in that 8g aluminum pot, just kept my mash water around 6 gallons to leave room for the grain.

Ive had boil overs even with a 10 gallon pot. Go larger

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back