How big of a difference in gravity would wort from the top have compared to the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarrymore

Reaction score
The other day I brewed 10 gallon batch, but at the end of brew I forgot to get a gravity reading. Usually I collect wort at the end of boil after a good stir, but this time I collected a sample from the top of the fermenting bucket just before pitching. The wort had sat for about half an hour in the bucket before collecting the sample.

Would the wort from the top of the bucket be significantly less than wort from the bottom?

The other day I brewed 10 gallon batch, but at the end of brew I forgot to get a gravity reading. Usually I collect wort at the end of boil after a good stir, but this time I collected a sample from the top of the fermenting bucket just before pitching. The wort had sat for about half an hour in the bucket before collecting the sample.

Would the wort from the top of the bucket be significantly less than wort from the bottom?
not after boil and aeration no. it is coming out of the mash, but wouldnt expect any difference after boiling etc

I’ve definitely noticed stratification pre boil. Post boil and after transferring, highly unlikely. But maybe higher gravity stuff may start to settle if it sits a while?

It would be extremely difficult (nigh impossible!) to not have a homogeneous wort after the boil and transfer to primary. I worry more about stratified wort after taking first and second runnings which would be pre boil gravity. Even then, diffusion would eventually homogenize the solution over time.

Back