How big is your pipeline?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Just interested really. I started brewing 3 months ago and have been beavering away with 4 fermenters to get a nice little pipeline. I'm at a point where I have maybe 15 gallons bottled and another 7 in the fermenters. This seems to be enough to allow a choice of several beverages at any time and allows normal gravity beer enough time to age a little so it's not being consumed while green. Plus not having to rush anything through at any stage.

This is an ok size for me. I'll keep collecting bottles and start putting down some higher gravity stuff that I can store away and forget about for 12 months, but I wouldn't want a pipeline so big that stuff starts going past it's peak.

What sort of pipeline does everyone else keep going?

Keep collecting bottles. You'll be surprised how fast beer can go when you have dedicated friends. I keg nowadays but honestly it goes as fast as i brew it. I try to brew twice a month, we're talking 10 gal batches every 2 weeks, and it never lasts very long.

I have 6 torpedo kegs feeding four kegerator taps. Two fermenters fit in my fermentation chamber. It's really amazing that a few weeks hiatus from brewing combined with a neighborhood party has my pipeline down to a trickle. Ideally, I'd have all six kegs filled with a double batch of lager in my fermenters. Sadly, I'm far from that right now...

4 tap kegerator each tap hooked up to 5 gallon kegs, 4 cornies carbing up in the cold storage refer, 15 gallons IIPA fermenting in one chamber, 5gallons Hefeweisen fermenting in another and brewing 10 gallons Tripel for the third this weekend. When I run out of room I group text the neighborhood and we all have a blast on a Friday night.

I have 7 gallons in bottles and 3 in fermenter. I will be brewing and bottling this weekend, and likely brewing the following w/e.

I have one keg tapped, one keg carbing, one keg bright tank/aging/conditioning/lagering, and one batch in a fermenter. I brew 5 gal batches every two weeks to keep that pipeline filled

5 kegs with 3 on tap in the keezer, 4 cases 12 oz bottles, and usually around 50 22oz bottles is my minimum. When my pipeline get below 25 gallons I start having anxiety

I have three kegs which ideally I want to keep full at all times. Tap two, third is in line when one kicks. I've been thinking about a fourth keg that might hold something for aging. Its usually just me drinking off the keg, so 3 is probably more than enough to keep fresh product on hand.

I have 5 cases of 750ml bottles, 4 cases of 12oz bottles, three cases of 16oz bottles.

In my carboys, I try to keep at least 20 gallons of sour beer aging, at least 10 gallons of brett beer, and 10 gallons of clean beer. This allows me to plow through clean beers while enjoying brett and sour beers regularly as well.

I have 3 kegs now, which keeps me in beer. I would like to pick up two more for aging bigger beers. I plan on having four taps on my keezer when I get around to faucets (right now I just use picnic taps). I do start feeling bad when I walk past my empty FastFerment conical and that usually gets me brewing again with the chant of "Drink faster"

Isn't that personal? :p

Two 5gal kegs in service, one full standing by. Ten gallons fermenting or conditioning, I have kegs available for those plus one more empty. A few dozen assorted bottles of homebrew and craft beer. Looks about average. (The amount of beer)

Have a kegerator now but no kegs yet...so 78 full 22oz bottles, 40 12oz, and 5 gallons in primary. That makes....scuse me while I calculate.................................so a total of 17.781 gallons of beer in my tiny house.

Enough swing tops to hold (2) 5 gallon batches, plus I'll usually fill and cap 6-12 regular bottles per batch.
Usually I'll brew up a batch once I have enough empties for 2/3 of a batch so by the time it's ready to be bottled I have enough.
On a regular schedule I'll have 3 different beers to choose from the fridge.....

6 taps
7 kegs

7th fits in the kegerator (but is empty at the moment)

oldest beer is 3 months old.

So, I have a few taps devoted to "past it's prime beer".
I need to work on that.

I have enough bottles for 4-5 batches split between 12oz bottles and bombers. I generally have two 5 gal batches fermenting, occasionally 3.

I drink slowly and am generally the only beer drinker in my house, and some are given as gifts.

4 kegs in the keezer and i try to keep another 4-5 full. that may change since i just got another 20ish kegs this week..:D

I guess kegging is quite different to bottling. You dont have to wait the 2-3 weeks for carbonation which makes turnaround faster. But also a not-quite-empty keg could hold up the production line. I like that with bottling I can drink some now and leave some to age, and not have that tie up a keg or tap.

A friend was saying this is a big problem for commercial brewers who have to lease kegs or borrow to buy them. Having a big stockpile becomes really expensive since they pay each month the keg is tied up.

6 faucets, 14 kegs, a keezer, a ferm fridge, and a cold-conditioning/carbing fridge.
Almost always have 4 cold kegs carbed up and ready to go, and often have 6 ready...

Cheers!

Not big enough....

About 4 cases of 12oz bottles aging. 3x3 gallon kegs aging/waiting to bottle. 3 gallons of weisse on tap, 5 gallons of Gose standing by, 2x3 gallons of Pale Ale.

... 4x5 gallon & 4x3 gallon kegs to clean before I can brew again. Probably Saturday AM...

Got no pipeline, but I do have 10 gallons fermenting so I hope to get on track and build one.

Depends on how you define a pipeline. If you only define it as what's in the fermenter, then I usually don't have much of a pipeline. Typically 1 or 2 batches in fermenters at a time, sometimes zero. Yesterday morning I had two batches in two separate fermenters, but then I bottled one of the batches so I only have one in a fermenter.

If, however, you count homebrew in kegs, bottles, and so on, then I have 2.5 gallons of bottled mead, 5 gallons of bottled nut brown ale, 3 gallons of bottled American Pale Ale, 2.5 gallons of bottled cider, and 2.5 gallons of Belgian dubbel ale. Then there's the 5+ gallons of Lambic-style sour still in the fermenter.

Summer time I'm always running out of beer with no pipeline due to drinking more and doing other things.The rest of the year running 2 full kegs with 10 to 20 gallons in pipeline.

Try to keep three taps flowing at all times: something hoppy, one for the wife, something dark or funky or weird. Two kegs in reserve, but I can't force carb them easily. I try to alternate one batch for kegging and one for bottling.

I can ferment 4 5 gallon batches simultaneously. Right now: wine, Imperial stout (bottles), English pilsner (what would the English brew if they lost the war and had to brew for their German occupiers?). I'll probably brew an Amber for the wife next. Then something Belgian to bottle. And so on.

I have only one fermenter. I find that it takes about a month from start to bottling for most beers, and then another month would be the minimum aging time. Even though I have 5 beers in the cellar, they are going down at an alarming rate. This means I have to buy more beer to supplement my meagre throughput. It's the price I have to pay.

3-4 fermentors going at maximum, usually have 4 kegs full, but sadly only 2 taps.

Constantly switching over lines so time to invest in another tap.

I bottle a batch or two per year and always have something interesting aging outside of the regular run.

12 kegs

3 are dedicated to fermentation, and have been modified as such.
3 are neeed to pair with the 3 ferm kegs

the rest hopefully have beer.

6 fermenters for general pipelineage. 4 more for aging sours. I could get away with 4 regular ones, but I do a lot of beers that need aging that arent sour too.

Back