How Bad Will It Be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven1469

Reaction score
So I have about 10-15 all grain batches under my belt and wanted to start experimenting with different flavors. Two days ago, I made a 1 gallon test batch of a jalapeno wheat beer. the recipe calls for 1# 2-row, 12.8ozs wheat, and 1.6ozs Munich. For some reason, I purchased 1# each of the grains so I could have some left over in my inventory.

Long story short, I got really busy and milled all three pounds together without thinking, rather than measuring each grain out.

The SG was supposed to be 1.051 but I ended up with 1.081. At this point, I was getting really sleepy and thought, "this is just a test batch, maybe I did something different with my stovetop brew" (I brew my 6 gallon batches outside on a burner.)

It wasn't until this morning when I woke up and thought about it. "Oh ****! THAT'S why my SG was so high! I added each pound rather than measuring it out!"

Needless to say, instead of having a 5.4% ABV Jalapeno Wheat, looks like I will have an 8.7% - 9% ABV Jalapeno Wheat.

I wanted to see how you guys thought how this one will turn out? I'm gonna let it go due to it being just a gallon, but I fell like such a dumb ass:).

It'll be fine, although I'm not sure you can still call it a wheat beer with that distribution of grain. :D

You may want to adjust your jalapeno addition (I'm assuming you're adding it after primary?) to compensate for the higher gravity. And it might be underhopped...

It'll be fine, although I'm not sure you can still call it a wheat beer with that distribution of grain. :D

You may want to adjust your jalapeno addition (I'm assuming you're adding it after primary?) to compensate for the higher gravity. And it might be underhopped...

I did .8 of a jalapeno during the boil and supposed to add about .2 of one in secondary according to Beersmith. I'm not to worried about the hops, I didn't want it to be hop forward anyways.

Latest posts

Back