How bad is Bread Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyknives

Reaction score
So I have just started making mead and cider and i have been using cheap bread yeast I got at the grocery store. How will the change my mead as opposed to using yeast intended for mead?

Thanks, and any other tips are greatly appreciated!

So I have just started making mead and cider and i have been using cheap bread yeast I got at the grocery store. How will the change my mead as opposed to using yeast intended for mead?

It's not. Bread yeast is fine, wine yeasts have different flavour character, flocculate better (bread yeast can be a f****r as it often has a very loose and fluffy lees that comes back into suspension very easily), higher alcohol tolerance, wider temperature range, etc etc...

Sometimes bread yeast iS the right one to use. Look up any long JAO thread here or at Gotmead and you'll likely find examples of what happens when it gets swapped for wine yeast........

I used bread yeast for years. Its all my grandpa used and that's what I was taught to use. Of course now I know there are different and better (sometimes) options.

The biggest differences I noticed is subtle flavors, clearing times, and sometimes aging time. It all really depends on the recipe. At the end of the day you make something you enjoy drinking and are happy with it then keep it up.

i used bread yeast for years. Its all my grandpa used and that's what i was taught to use. Of course now i know there are different and better (sometimes) options.

The biggest differences i noticed is subtle flavors, clearing times, and sometimes aging time. It all really depends on the recipe. At the end of the day you make something you enjoy drinking and are happy with it then keep it up.
+1

rustyknives said:

Bread yeasts are often a mix of strains and are a bit unpredictable. If you've found something that works with bread yeasts then it works and that's all you need to know. If your mead is coming out as you like then I don't see a problem. Lots of beer styles derive their flavours from specific yeasts. You won't be able to make a Saison or a Flemish Red or a Kölsch with bread yeast.

I don't see the point myself when sachets of high quality dried brewer's yeast are dead cheap.

DrWill said:
I don't see the point myself when sachets of high quality dried brewer's yeast are dead cheap.

I just happen to have a decent bit of bread yeast and no idea where to go to buy other stuff around here. Planning on checking out a couple of stores that may stock homebrew materials when i have time

rustyknives said:
I just happen to have a decent bit of bread yeast and no idea where to go to buy other stuff around here. Planning on checking out a couple of stores that may stock homebrew materials when i have time

Good reason! It sounds like you're making good stuff. I'm willing to wager you'll make even better stuff with the purpose-bred yeast. If not, well, you can always go back!

DrWill said:
Good reason! It sounds like you're making good stuff. I'm willing to wager you'll make even better stuff with the purpose-bred yeast. If not, well, you can always go back!

So far the gallon that was my first and a kraken handle that I used to experiment small scale have both been bottled and tasted great. I made the smaller one with local honey and apples and it has a really nice sweet rich taste right off the bat. Put them in some brown and green beer bottles with a bit of sugar and letting them sit until my patience runs out.

If your like me then there is no local place to get anything else. I order my yeasts online.

neo71665 said:
If your like me then there is no local place to get anything else. I order my yeasts online.

I actually just found a good place for homebrew equipment yesterday! And decently cheap compared to what I saw online

(bread yeast can be a f****r as it often has a very loose and fluffy lees that comes back into suspension very easily)

This is why I dislike bread yeast. All I have to do is look at my fermenter and bread yeast gets kicked up.

However, I will say that in my experience you can certainty make booze with bread yeast.

This is why I dislike bread yeast. All I have to do is look at my fermenter and bread yeast gets kicked up.

However, I will say that in my experience you can certainty make booze with bread yeast.
When I'm gonna rack a JAO, I move the fermenter a day or two early, to where tbe actual rack is gonna ba conducted.

Then I prep a 2 litre soda/pop bottle, by cutting the top half off it and re-enforcing the flexy top cut edge with some duct tape.

I'll rack carefully keep the bottom of the racking cane well clear of the sediment. When I'm confident that I can't get anymore clear brew out (tiny swirls of sediment moving, the rest goes into the prepared bottle part and if I do get a bit of sediment, not a problem.

That in turn, gets covered with cling wrap and an elastic band and into the fridge over night. The following day any sediment will have dropped into the molded feet of the bottle base and you should be able to lower the base of the racking cane to the top part of the molded feet to rack off the maximum amount of brew.

It just needs a little care and cautious handling to reduce racking loses and minimise sediment pick up.......

I make a lot of 1 imp gallon batches so have to be an inventive tightwad :D

Back