How bad did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Hughes

Reaction score
First time doing this myself. First brew in a bag as well.

1. I think my mashing temp was too high. For much of the hour it hovered around 155-160.

2. I didn’t have a stopper for my airlock to go in so I used Saran Wrap with a rubber band securing it and put the airlock through a little whole i made in it.

3. I only got the wort to 80 degrees in 30 minutes.

Have I screwed my first quarantine batch?

1. I think my mashing temp was too high. For much of the hour it hovered around 155-160.

2. I didn’t have a stopper for my airlock to go in so I used Saran Wrap with a rubber band securing it and put the airlock through a little whole i made in it.

Sounds like you MacGyver'd quite well.

Absolutely ruined. And the way you ruined it, it's going to become toxic nuclear waste. It will require special disposal and it will be very costly.

Fortunately I'm fully licensed for disposal and I could easily add it to one of my waste sites. Just send me your bottled and fully carbed beer, er, um, I mean toxic waste and I'll help you rid the world of this travesty.

Or, you know, it may not be perfect, but it will be beer. Learn from any mistakes you have made and keep brewing. It will probably be better than you think.

I'm not seeing where you screwed up. 155 to 160 for an an hour long mash is still in the zone for conversion of starches to sugars. The Saran Wrap and rubber band solution is an ok MacGyver-ish quick fix for the airlock. Getting your wort down to 80 degrees in 30 minutes is fine. Relax, you still made beer! :mug:

That sounds a lot like how I brew my beer. I've never had the mash temp to 160 but 155-157 seems to work fine. While I do have airlocks on most of my fermenter buckets I do have one that has Saran wrap taped over the opening. It all comes out as beer. 30 minutes to cool? Well, there's your problem. You need to discuss that with those of us who do no chill and don't get to pitching temperature for 8 to 12 hours.

Thanks guys feel a little better. Going to try brew again in 2 weeks once my next shipment comes. I’ll get some pics of this later. My wife is using he den for Zoom teleconferences

i think you did your best in regards the airlock. if you could get your hands on a stopper in the next couple days you could sanitize it quick and get it on there with your airlock. outside of that i would leave it alone to avoid any oxidation and let it run its course and bottle when ready.

i think you did your best in regards the airlock. if you could get your hands on a stopper in the next couple days you could sanitize it quick and get it on there with your airlock. outside of that i would leave it alone to avoid any oxidation and let it run its course and bottle when ready.
Stopper will Probably come Friday or Saturday.

where are you at as far as fermentation? with any luck you will still have some fermentation going on when you get the new stopper that way once you have it put on c02 will production will take care of any oxygen. either way youll be all good to go. im sure it will be good.
cheers.

As of this morning I didn’t notice any activity but I didn’t move the jug around to inspect real well either.

As of this morning I didn’t notice any activity but I didn’t move the jug around to inspect real well either.

i doubt a tube through a hole in saran wrap would be air tight enough to bubble an airlock....but there is the possibility of blow off! (if there is you HAVE to post pictures! ;))

EE011641-1B31-4C37-9E94-D4DC57ECCC45.jpeg
Got some action in there. Here is the top

A little update fermentation looks good. My stopper was delivered by UPS.....to my post office. So got to wait till tomorrow for that.

In gave it a little shake. Later I’ll get another pic to show the fermentation or lack there of. Not real experienced obviously so I’m not sure. Seemed more bubbly yesterday

Not real experienced obviously so I’m not sure.

normally there would be more krausen....or evidence of it have been being there......that wouldn't have anything to do with your airlock though....(i can't tell if that thick ring in the pic is a krausen ring, or the other side of the fermenter...)

there be krausen there! lol, looks like it had it's active phase and is finishing up.....(and by god, keep it out of the light! ;))

I got it in a much better place. Just moved for the pic. I can see why the ancient thought the gods mad this stuff...lots of variables. Glad I got good resources here.

Didn’t turn out to taste as I expected. It is a little “watered down” probably from not boiling off enough water, I had about a quart and a half extra wort. the Carbonation isn’t there yet so the others may be better. I kind of like it. Instead of an IPA I got grapefruity hazy golden/blonde ale.

Attachments

• 66520D55-EB16-4CC5-85EE-B03D6D15C30C.jpeg
    66520D55-EB16-4CC5-85EE-B03D6D15C30C.jpeg
    982.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back