How bad did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowfisher

Reaction score
Just started two 5 gallon extract kits from Northern Brewers. American Amber Ale and Milk Chocolate Stout, I made sure and read the instruction sheet carefully so I wouldn't make any mistakes and thought I did well. While browsing this site I saw something about rehydrating dry yeast and I knew I didn't do that. As soon as I got home I opened the kit I'm doing next to look at the yeast packet and it says to rehydrate it. I just added it dry in the first two batches, the airlock has been bubbling for 3 days, though it's slowing down now. Will my beer be OK?

Pitching the yeast dry in these two beers will be okay. There will be enough live cells to ferment out your beers without any off flavors. Higher gravity beers may have had problems.

Here is a link to the Fermentis site on rehydrating dry yeast.
http://www.brewwithfermentis.com/tips-tricks/yeast-rehydration/

Air lock activity slowing down at day three is typical. You could let the temperature begin rising to the upper 60° temp range.

Your beer will be fine. I still don't rehydrate my dry yeasts and my beers turn out fine. I have heard it is supposed to help kick off fermentation but I am lazy.

Will my beer be OK?

Yes, probably even better than just "OK". And the best part is that while you are enjoying these brews, you can smile knowing that as good as they are, you already know one simple step you can implement to make them even better the next time you brew them.

Yeah do not worry. As long as the wort was cool enough, pitching the dry yeast right in is perfectly fine. I would definitely recommend starting your yeast next time just to get into the habit for the future. While it is not necessary, doing so can eliminate potential questions or problems that might pop up and get the yeast going strong before you pitch it.

-Jeff

Latest posts

Back