How accurate is this fg reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
i have a neipa that stalled on initial fermentation so with the touch of a little alpha amylase enzyme and some rehydrates us05 fermentation kicked off again a day later. So it’s been fermenting now for 2+ days and I checked the fg reading, as It being a neipa and all I don’t want the fg bottoming out, so my plan is to take a fg reading if it’s where I want then I’m gonna do a hard cold crash to hopefully drop the yeast and stop fermentation. So I pulled a sample and at first it read 1.012, great, but due to the co2 In the sample because it was taken while still fermenting after a minute the hydrometer rose and now it’s reading 1.016, which is fine it stared at 1.030 when I restarted fermentation. So which reading is it, 1.012, 1.016? somewhere around there, take an avg and it’s in the middle?

And cold crashing won’t stop your fermentation. yeast may go dormant but would continue at some point when beer warms.

And cold crashing won’t stop your fermentation. yeast may go dormant but would continue at some point when beer warms.
Even if it goes from cold crash then pushed into a cold keg and placed in the keezer. I dry hop in my keg so it doesn’t have to warm up before I transfer it into the keg.

You answered your own question when you wrote”...due to the C02 in the sample because it was taken while still fermenting...”. It’s not done. Wait a couple days and pull another sample. It’ll be done when it’s done.
Sooooo what would i expect if I already started the cold crashing process oh like 24hrs ago? let It warm back up and finish out of just transfer it with my keg hops, in a bag of course.

Sooooo what would i expect if I already started the cold crashing process oh like 24hrs ago? let It warm back up and finish out of just transfer it with my keg hops, in a bag of course.

How’s it taste? If good, and where you like it, keep it cold in the keg and serve it. It may slowly ferment a little, but it’ll be gone before it’s an issue. If you’re bottling, well, that’s different because you don’t want bottle bombs of course, but kegging it is fine.

How’s it taste? If good, and where you like it, keep it cold in the keg and serve it. It may slowly ferment a little, but it’ll be gone before it’s an issue. If you’re bottling, well, that’s different because you don’t want bottle bombs of course, but kegging it is fine.
Thanks yoop. Yeah the fg got down to where I wanted it, smelled great so thinking I’ll pull it Tomm night and co2 transfer it into a cold keg, so it’ll be cold the entire time. Then I add some keg hops in a suspended sack for a little extra aroma.

Back