HouseSmith? No thanks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Alright, I guess I'll be the next to start a never ending argument thread.
If I win the lottery and I'm looking for a contractor to build my dream house, and the contractor mentions that he's working up the plans on a new program called HouseSmith, I'm going to snatch the homebrew from his hand, turn him around and assist him out the door with my foot, because I'll know for sure he knows diddly about building houses.
Learn about houses, familarize yourself with exotic things like 'doors' and mysterious transparent things called 'windows', then maybe get a program called HouseSmith's Helper. Yes - if you want to build my house, YOU have to be the 'housesmith', not your computer.
Now, substitute dream beer for dream house and BeerSmith for HouseSmith, and become enraged.

Yeah... I think... Yeah... something get lost between your head and your keyboard? You did a little flip flopping around.

WTF?????

So you don't like beersmith? And you don't think contractors and architects and other folks in the trade don't have design software programs? It's pretty common. Even an experienced person will use them to see how their vision will look....

Beersmith doesn't design recipes for you in the sense that they will of won't taste like crap, that's up to you the brewer/creator, to know what grains/etc work with each other. They just give you the numbers and show you if they're within the parameters of the style.

They're just tools, they don't do the work for you, but they help you come up with the numbers necessary to do the job.

If you don't like them, that's your choice, but if you don't think there are programs similar to BS for contracting and designing, then you don't know what you're talking about.

You ever have a perfessional landscape design done? They're usually done using software, and presented these days to the customer as a 3d rendering....hate to break it to you, but that's usually done with "design software."

And you don't think pro brewers use Beersmith and other programs too?

No, he's saying he doesn't trust people who design beers using Beersmith. Because....I dunno I guess because people who use Beersmith automatically must know nothing about making beer? Just a WAG.

If you think architects don't use software to do their job, you know absolutely nothing about architecture. Try looking up a little program called "Digital Project" developed in part by probably the most famous architect living today.

H-ost said:
Yeah... I think... Yeah... something get lost between your head and your keyboard? You did a little flip flopping around.

Appearently he is either way smart and can do all of the required calculations in his head for a beer recipe, or he is an idiot, or drunk or both

He's right.. Beer Tools Pro is what the real brewers are using, or if you've been brewing as long as I have ProMash. If the program doesn't have "Pro" in it, you're clearly amateur.
;)

He's right.. Beer Tools Pro is what the real brewers are using, or if you've been brewing as long as I have ProMash. If the program doesn't have "Pro" in it, you're clearly amateur.
;)

Thats the same philosophy my boss has when naming new products for our catalog! ..... I wish I was kidding heh.

WTF?????

So you don't like beersmith? And you don't think contractors and architects and other folks in the trade don't have design software programs? It's pretty common. Even an experienced person will use them to see how their vision will look....

Beersmith doesn't design recipes for you in the sense that they will of won't taste like crap, that's up to you the brewer/creator, to know what grains/etc work with each other. They just give you the numbers and show you if they're within the parameters of the style.

They're just tools, they don't do the work for you, but they help you come up with the numbers necessary to do the job.

If you don't like them, that's your choice, but if you don't think there are programs similar to BS for contracting and designing, then you don't know what you're talking about.

You ever have a perfessional landscape design done? They're usually done using software, and presented these days to the customer as a 3d rendering....hate to break it to you, but that's usually done with "design software."

And you don't think pro brewers use Beersmith and other programs too?

Yeah, I know - it's called auto-cad. I'd still like to think my carpenter could build a birdhouse without it.

Beersmith certainly makes it easier for everyone to brew, much in the same fashion that arguing with idiots was not so easy prior to Al Gore's invention of the internet.

No, he's saying he doesn't trust people who design beers using Beersmith. Because....I dunno I guess because people who use Beersmith automatically must know nothing about making beer? Just a WAG.

If you think architects don't use software to do their job, you know absolutely nothing about architecture.

Man, is he going to be ticked when he finds out about prefabbed building components in AutoCAD.

I guess he's saying, "You shouldn't use programs like BeerSmith until you understand what BeerSmith is doing for you."

Uh, well...I guess he has a point, kinda.

But for most of us, beer brewing is a hobby, not a profession, so if we can make great beers by using a program to do the menial tasks like calculating mash volumes and IBU's, it's fine. If you're going to brew beer as a profession, then yeah, it might be important to understand how every aspect of brewing affects the final product. But once you do, and you have verified that BeerSmith is calculating what you'd be calculating by hand anyway, it would be fine to use it. Or if BeerSmith isn't calculating how you think it should, how you can take BeerSmith's numbers and do some adjustments outside of the program.

Reminds me of some of the guys in my other hobby, RC airplanes. "If you don't do it the way we have been doing it for the last 20 years you are an idiot".
Translates into: "We don't need all those newfangled gadgets and gizmos, those that use them aren't REAL brewers".

The analogy is a bad one because practically all architecture is drawn up in AutoCAD (Housesmith), on a computer.

A birdhouse and remodeling a Kitchen are two VERY different projects requiring different tools.

I can do a SMaSH and know what the expected OG is gonna be without using a calculator but when there are more variables I would prefer the math be done for me.

It's all good though, you did start off with saying this was a trolling thread.

Yeah, I know - it's called auto-cad. I'd still like to think my carpenter could build a birdhouse without it.

And more than likely he can...but just because he can, why if using software is easier, should he, just to appease some luddite? Software is for convenience, and to save time...

:mad:

Actually, I'm not mad. I really don't care. I don't use BeerSmith, but I do use other programs occasionally. Mainly to quickly figure out rough guesstimates on OG and bitterness and whatever.

But I really don't see your point. If I were having a contractor build me a house, I would love to see it done up in a program so I can see a nice layout of the house, instead of a hand drawing. It would be much easier as well, in case some plans change it would be easier to re-do the computer blueprint than to re-do the paper blueprint. If I were building the house myself, I would much rather design it in a CAD type program, mainly because my motor skills haven't fully developed and I can only color with crayons clenched in my fists:
blog-i-effing-love-coloring.jpg

Same kind of goes with brewing. It's much easier to make a blueprint of the beer before you brew it so you can tweak things to get it close to where you want. I don't see any shame at all in using a program. In fact, I would highly recommend it. Just because someone uses a program, doesn't mean that they don't know how to do something, it's not like the program does everything for you. You still need to know what you are doing, it's not like anybody with a computer can magically make beer by downloading a computer program.

:D

If I win the lottery and I'm looking for a contractor to build my dream house, and the contractor mentions that he's working up the plans on a new program called HouseSmith, I'm going to snatch the homebrew from his hand, turn him around and assist him out the door with my foot, because I'll know for sure he knows diddly about building houses.
Learn about houses, familarize yourself with exotic things like 'doors' and mysterious transparent things called 'windows', then maybe get a program called HouseSmith's Helper. Yes - if you want to build my house, YOU have to be the 'housesmith', not your computer.
Now, substitute dream beer for dream house and BeerSmith for HouseSmith, and become enraged.

I forgot something:

If I won the lottery I would not be hiring ANYONE to make beer for me.

Before AutoCAD there were blue prints which still started with someone sitting down with a pencil, paper, and a full set of drafting tools. There are always tools to make tedious tasks easier. I guarantee you if he sat down to build a birdhouse, he'd, at the very least, have a predetermined design that has been handed down throughout everyone in history who has ever built a bird house. A lot depends how you use software like AutoCAD. Sure you could draw a house with it, but a true carpenter will do so while keeping in mind how he is going to ultimately piece the house together. If you just randomly throw a recipe together with BeerSmith, without considering how it will come out, you get the same rickety house that the non-carpenter tried to build after drafting it.

Maybe you shouldn't so much get on people's case who use BeerSmith, but people who take recipes straight from books or other people. IMO that's closer to cheating than using software to help with calculations.

If I win the lottery and I'm looking for a contractor to build my dream house, and the contractor mentions that he's using a circular saw, I'm going to snatch the homebrew from his hand, turn him around and assist him out the door with my foot, because I'll know for sure he knows diddly about building houses.
Learn about houses, familarize yourself with exotic things like 'doors' and mysterious transparent things called 'windows', then maybe get a hand saw. Yes - if you want to build my house, YOU have to be the 'saw', not your circular saw.

If I win the lottery and I'm looking for a contractor to build my dream house, and the contractor mentions that he's Will Smith, I'm going to snatch the homebrew from his hand, turn him around and assist him out the door with my foot, because I'll know for sure he knows diddly about building houses.
Learn about houses, familarize yourself with exotic things like 'doors' and mysterious transparent things called 'windows', then maybe move in with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.

If I win the lottery and I'm looking for a contractor to build my dream house, and the contractor mentions that he's using a circular saw, I'm going to snatch the homebrew from his hand, turn him around and assist him out the door with my foot, because I'll know for sure he knows diddly about building houses.
Learn about houses, familarize yourself with exotic things like 'doors' and mysterious transparent things called 'windows', then maybe get a hand saw. Yes - if you want to build my house, YOU have to be the 'saw', not your circular saw.

Don't forget about when the brace and bit was invented, I am sure the users of this new contraption were looked down upon from the old guys that used t-augers to bore holes.

You wouldn't be impressing anyone using a handsaw to build a house. You'd be the idiot still on the roof at 10 at night while everyone else went home. It's not about what tool you use but how you use it.

You ever watched New Yankee Workshop? Norm could build a fine house with his fingernails as saws but he chooses not to. Doesn't mean he's not one of the best carpenters around.

The carpenter building a birdhouse without a CAD program would be basically akin to a commercial brew master brewing a mr beer kit without brewing software. I'de bet money they all could, and so could your 7 year old cubscout with a little guidence.

I feel less intelligent after reading this thread.

Thankfully, because I use BeerSmith, my homebrews won't change a bit since it clearly does everything for me.

BrewMU said:
Really, jackass? Blow it out your you-hole.

Well since you're mad I would guess the first choice of being way smart isn't correct ( at least I've never seen a smart person call someone a jackass for saying they are smart). So that leaves idiot drunk or both.

I made a sandwich one day for myself, and failed to ask my (Ex-)girlfriend if she wanted one. She got upset and asked a buddy of mine who was in the other room, "If you had a girlfriend, and you were making a sandwich, would you ask her if she wanted one too?!"
His response- "If I had a girlfriend, and I was making a sandwich, I'd be pissed!"
The example you see here has nothing to do with this argument, so carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back