"House" Yeast Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon3

Reaction score
I'm looking to start my yeast farming, and wanting recommendations on a couple house strains, and wondering what all y'all thought.

I'm thinking 3-4 strains to cover most of the styles I brew most often.

My usual styles: American Pale/IPA, English Ordinary/Special/Extra Special Bitters, German/Bo Pilsners, Marzen/Vienna Lagers

My Thoughts so far:

1. English/American Ale strain
Possible Yeasts: WLP007, WY1764 (Pacman)
I'd like this to be 75+% attenuation and the more flocculant, the better, I like being able to have beer clear quickly- it makes dry hopping easier and I don't have the abillity to have too long of a pipeline, so it helps get beers ready to drink earlier. Wanting a "clean" character, not as "Englishy" as some yeasts get

2. English Ale Strain
Possible Yeasts: WY1098, Wy1099, WY1187, etc...
Looking for lower attenuation (65-70%) with classic English fruity esters and bready taste.

3. Pale Lager
Possible Yeasts: WY2124, WY2007, WLP802, WY2278
Looking for a low-diacetyl, relatively fast yeast. I'm doing a BoPils now with WY2124, and disappointed in how slow it's going- only at 50% of expected attenuation after 2 weeks- I used WY2007 for my last BoPIls and it was almost TOO clean- didn't give me much classic lager character

4. Amber Lager
Possible Yeasts: WLP830, WLP833, WY2308
Haven't used any of these, so any suggestions are welcome.

For the record, I use a stir plate, always pitch appropriate amounds of yeast. I ferment with temp control, and I'm working on getting an oxygenation system shortly.

See any of the categories I can get rid of? Any better suggestions for yeasts? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

American Pale/IPA: US-05/1056

English Ordinary/Special/Extra Special Bitters: White Labs English Ale (or Irish Ale)

German/Bo Pilsners: ?

Marzen/Vienna Lagers: White Labs German Bock

Thanks for the reply- I should have mentioned that I heartily dislike US05, and 1056/001 aren't flocculent enough for me- that's why I was wondering about WLP007 and Pacman-

I brew a LOT of english ales......especially ordinary bitter and dark mild. My two favorite yeasts for these beers are 1318 and 1469. Been using 1318 more and more...... really like the results. 1469 I also love - but I try to keep it on the cool side (mid 60's, maybe letting it finish out at 68 or so).

For German lagers I prefer WLP 830. I did a split batch using 830 in half and 838 in the other half. I preferred the 830. I entered both in a local comp and the judges preferred the 830 beer also for what that's worth.

Aren't WLP007 and Wyeast 1098 equivalent? Stone reportedly uses something similar for its ales.

I do like 1469 for a bitter/pale ale/esb. Haven't tried it in a porter or stout, but I bet it would be good for that as well.

Wyeast 1028 is also pretty good--and gives drier finish. Good for especially British styles--makes a great porter. I think Great Lakes uses that a lot (or something similar).

I've never bought that 1098 and 007 are the same- they show different attenuation and flocculation levels on White Labs and Wyeast website

WLP007
70-80%attenuation
medium-high floc
65-70 temp

WY1098
73-75% att.
medium floc
64-72 temp

Different enough for me to think they're a separate strain

I've been loving Notty lately for pale ales where I don't want much yeast character. Also flocs like a rock in my experience.

Just used this for the first time and soon will be drinking my nut brown ale. Smelled and tasted great at bottling time!

FWIW, I don't think you can go wrong with us-04/05 for versatile yeasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just a few comments on some of the equality between these strains. WY2124 and WLP830 are reportedly the same. Those are the Weihenstephaner W-34/70 strain. You can probably use this strain for all of your lagers. Predictable, well-behaved, forgiving. I prefer WLP833 (Ayinger strain), but WLP830 is also great. There is also a dry version of the yeast, Saflager W-34/70, so if you are doing a standard gravity lager, it's handy because you can just buy two sachets for the price of a vial of yeast and not have to make a starter; just rehydrate.

Similarly, WY2308 and WLP838 are supposedly the same, also a Weihenstephaner W-308 strain. I believe was originally the Wisenschaftliche Station #308 strain. I like this strain a lot, too. I think it makes nice Vienna lagers, but is a little less predictable than WLP830, and usually doesn't come out quite as clean because it both produces more diacetyl than WLP830, and also isn't as strong of a diacetyl reducer in the stationary phase as WLP830 is. It's a little more sulphury, but not much.

And yes, WLP007 and WY1098 are both versions of the Whitbread Dry strain (Safale S-04 being the dry yeast version). They may have mildly different characteristics listed, but will all produce a very similar beer. Great choice for big beers that need to be dried out (barlyewine/RIS), because these all often give around 80% attenuation (unlike most English strains) and have a nice, supportive ester profile. However, I agree with Brauprofessor and think that WY1318 is a great English yeast strain for anything smaller than 1.070. I like its ester profile better that Fullers and Whitbread.

Is your only problem with the Chico strain the flocc problem? Another option for American is WLP051/WY1272, the Anchor Liberty strain. Subtle esters, so it's not as clean as Chico, but is much more flocculant in my experience. I get both strains to clear pretty well after lagering for a month, though.

Hope this is helpful, and I'm sure any choices you eventually make will be good if you treat the yeast well.

I haven't brewed any beer yet but have used several generations of Nottingham for ciders. It cold crashes and floculates really well. At $4.00 a pack you won't feel too bad about dumping it and starting over either.

For American pale/IPA, I like Wyeast NW ale 1332.

English ale strain, I like London ale 1028.

The London ale is pretty versatile as an all around ale yeast, IMO. As is the Scotch ale yeast.

Thanks for the reply- I should have mentioned that I heartily dislike US05, and 1056/001 aren't flocculent enough for me- that's why I was wondering about WLP007 and Pacman-

Nottingham is my new favorite for IPA/APA's. It flocculates very well and tight and produces a clean ferment from 60-65F for ales. If I have one type of harvested yeast in the fridge it's usually Notty.

my house yeast is american ale II
It has just a little something extra over 1056 and I love it.
I use it for everything it seems

Notty and 05...though 05 is getting on my nerves lately. Peachy when low and doesn't floc like notty. Been using notty for everything lately.

If you have about a cubic foot of freezer space, why limit yourself. I freeze yeast 25% yeast 25% glycerin and 50% water. Stored in a Styrofoam Box, I have used vials that have been frozen for more than a year and a half. I have over 10 varieties. I also keep dry yeast on hand for when I don't plan ahead and get a starter going in time.

If you have about a cubic foot of freezer space, why limit yourself. I freeze yeast 25% yeast 25% glycerin and 50% water. Stored in a Styrofoam Box, I have used vials that have been frozen for more than a year and a half. I have over 10 varieties. I also keep dry yeast on hand for when I don't plan ahead and get a starter going in time.

How viable is yeast that's been frozen?

Pretty viable if stored with glycerin. Yeast can survive the temps and the glycerin keeps ice from forming.

Back