House Bill 500 - NC Freedom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree a little bit with NCSU. I believe they were asking for a little more than they should have.

The problem is, in America in general, we still have prohibition laws on the books when it comes to Alcohol. Most states have not changed laws (including distribution laws) since 1930’s. This has enabled the distributors to become rich and powerful. They are able to lobby the state government, and the legislators know who butters their bread.

I really thought the law would pass. But as I said above, maybe they went to high. 200K is A LOT more than 25K barrels. 1 keg (half barrel) is 165 12 oz beers. So, 25K barrels = 50K kegs = 8,250,000 beers. The new Bill wanted it to be upped to 200K barrels = 400K kegs = 66,000,000 beers. That is a lot of suds. Maybe they should have went with 100K with an addendum in the Bill that it has to be looked at again in 4-6 years.

I don't know what the answer is, but I know a lot of smaller breweries on the cusp of expanding are having a crappy week!

Yeah - this isn't about rep vs. Dem. It's about the good ole boy network and distributors lobbying the state gov. to eliminate competition.

I agree a little bit with NCSU. I believe they were asking for a little more than they should have.

The problem is, in America in general, we still have prohibition laws on the books when it comes to Alcohol. Most states have not changed laws (including distribution laws) since 1930’s. This has enabled the distributors to become rich and powerful. They are able to lobby the state government, and the legislators know who butters their bread.

I really thought the law would pass. But as I said above, maybe they went to high. 200K is A LOT more than 25K barrels. 1 keg (half barrel) is 165 12 oz beers. So, 25K barrels = 50K kegs = 8,250,000 beers. The new Bill wanted it to be upped to 200K barrels = 400K kegs = 66,000,000 beers. That is a lot of suds. Maybe they should have went with 100K with an addendum in the Bill that it has to be looked at again in 4-6 years.

I don't know what the answer is, but I know a lot of smaller breweries on the cusp of expanding are having a crappy week!

This law probably doesn't affect many craft breweries in NC. NoDa and OMB are two of the larger craft breweries that aren't already under contract with a distributor. Upping this cap too far will allow the larger guys (Sierra Nevada, Oskar Dale's) to self-distribute and put more of the little guys (smaller than NoDa & OMB) at a disadvantage.

Yeah - this isn't about rep vs. Dem. It's about the good ole boy network and distributors lobbying the state gov. to eliminate competition.

Don't forget. The state needs to steal their cut. Their distributors are there to do that.

Does the state get involved in the distribution and sale of products besides alcohol?
The answer is mostly no; corrupt politicians CAN justify their "control" of alcohol, because the producers and consumers are a danger to society as a whole.
This is why we have a political process, corrupt politicians only operate as long as the voters allow it.

The silver lining is that these small breweries won't be able to grow as much and that'll make them less appealing to InBev....

The ink was barely dry on a similar bill in Arizona (with Four Peaks leading the charge), and then Four Peaks was acquired by InBev.

Back