Hot weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjabrew

Reaction score
Hi there. I am kinda new to brewing. I've done only a couple of the coopers can kits. And now I'm trying the Thomas coopers pilsner which requires a slightly lower temperature ... Trouble is we're having a heat wave here (33 degrees outside) so i am having trouble keeping it at 18-22. So I'm wondering a) what the realistic downsides of higher temps are and b) if anyone has any tips for keeping the temp down... I've put the carboy in a bigger box and I put some frozen water bottles in there from time to time. But any advice appreciated!! Many thanks!!!

Hi, it's been hot here in RI too. I have been wrapping a towel or tshirt on my carboys and sitting them in a shallow water bath so that the water wicks up the fabric around the Carboy. Then just aim a fan at it in a cool dark spot of the house. That does the trick for me.

Yep, same here. Rubbermaid tote, water to just below the liquid level in the carboy and wrap a towel around it. They call it a "Swamp Cooler". Maintains a nice steady temp.

I got tired of doing the swamp cooler so I got an old fridge from a friend, bought a Johnson contols thermostat and my beer ferments at a lovely 65 degrees year round down here in hotlanta.

That's my next move miles. I've seen a few fridges on Craig's list for $60 - $70. That'll be nice!

Back