Hot-side infection/cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just had an infection with a pilsner in my stainless-steel conical fermenter, which I’m going to take apart and fully scrub & disinfect. But how about the hot side?

I have an EBIAB system. I run hot wort through my pump/hoses before for the last 15min of the boil before chilling and using them to transfer the wort to my fermenter. Does it make sense to worry as much about infection on the hot side (valves, kettle, etc) of things, and to be as fastidious about sanitizing, as I’m going to be with my cold side?

Thanks!

afaik any equipment that is at boiling temperature for at least a few minutes doesn't need to be sanitized. But one item that I've read about is the valve on the boil kettle - apparently that might not get hot enough to kill everything and still needs serious attention. Mine doesn't have a drain valve, so I have no personal experience with that. I just clean the boil kettle - no sanitizer. I hope that helps.

afaik any equipment that is at boiling temperature for at least a few minutes doesn't need to be sanitized. But one item that I've read about is the valve on the boil kettle - apparently that might not get hot enough to kill everything and still needs serious attention. Mine doesn't have a drain valve, so I have no personal experience with that. I just clean the boil kettle - no sanitizer. I hope that helps.
Sure does, ncbrewer. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back