Hot pepper brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff2_1-11

Reaction score
Want to try a kolsch or pale lager and add some dehydrated cayenne pepper in it just for fun. Would you put it in the boil or "dry hop" it?

geoff2_1-11 said:
Want to try a kolsch or pale lager and add some dehydrated cayenne pepper in it just for fun. Would you put it in the boil or "dry hop" it?

It is my impression that most people dry hop it. I've never done it though.

I had my first peppered brew yesterday. It was a dark ale and I was far from impressed. (and I am a pepper-head) the combo just doesn't work for me.

I recently bottled a peppered pale ale and dry hpped 10 Serrano peppers for 7 days, then placed a piece in each bottle. 70% of what I read said this was best but leave the seeds in the peppers if you want it hotter!

My local brew pub does a green chile beer with a light Mexican lager base. To me there just isn't enough character in the base to support the heat. I don't like it because all I taste is the chile. I think a kolsch or light lager would be the same. The best chile or pepper beers I've had all start with a stronger foundation like a pale ale or a brown ale. Just my 2 cents

I made BM's Cream of Three Crops recipe using hatch chiles in the boil and in fermenter. The boil addition gave it a nice flavor and the fermenter addition gave it some heat to back it up. It came out really nice.

This weekends project is picking up the makings to brew a smoked chipotle porter, letting it ferment for a week or so, and then racking it off to a secondary with the smoked chipotles for a couple weeks. There is a local micro that used to make a jalapeño ale that had a little heat and retained some of the natural pepper flavor, but they switched to habanero that finishes with the same level of heat but has a little sharper flavor, either way they sell out quick by growler only.

I agree with ktblunden, I'd go with both a boil addition and a fermenter addition. I made a jalapeno saison last summer and only went with the boil addition, the pepper flavor was great but it didn't retain any of the heat.

Back