Hot/Cold Water via Washer Hookup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagavulin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I need advice on utilizing washer hook ups for brewery water. These are located in my barn and are my only source of water.

Are the threads 3/4" garden hose? Is my best bet to use a Wye fitting, like the one below, with a garden hose valve?

Also what type of hose (I need like 10 feet) would you recommend for the food grade cold source? Should I use a nipple fitting to silicone tubing?

Cheers!

Photos:

7707473086_d2159afbff_n.jpg

PGKhb1D74hfJnaEsvyDe3cCFzgDG-8dV-txKHOnKWf17t_eOp05nDlzLx0kzV2GM-3-HpIMIzTQcVcuRJn81ytcV-VK3aYCXGCbkBUI17iHHhguigOCkMB17Vb2u5HRsXiI2lyVIcD5xqzKcMJH_4Gq0vu73BbYdJ0DwLFso8u_K1XLWSlM5luQaR3WF9GVQeMWkSR7cbQxJ6lWitp8Exvz6axDgH7hmkXdxrsC1b_pOZ09JvnHcccS6mApa5pfl8hdLY_dNHS7aehFax5G7ZHetztWHel0cYpUQgclY7Edyv9gPJD7zrtzv524_dKM01iJ6fLRUhSP7V9XUUT4SUs67

You can use the garden hose wye connector. I'm doing the exact same thing with my hot and cold washer lines.

As far as what hose to use, you can use rubber garden hose, or you can use the extra long washer metal hoses.

I use something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-20123-Water-Connector-Brass/dp/B0024ECDL4/ref=pd_sim_indust_10
for my Y adapter, the valve is very helpful.
Then, I have one of these on the open end of the Y adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKMU7U/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

That then hooks up to a long piece of half-inch silicon hose from bargainfittings.com or wherever.

Works great. For extra protection, I take the hose off and put an end-cap on the adapter when not in use. Just in case that valve in the Y adapter ever leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reposting this as it was under the photo and may not have been seen:

I did notice that the instructions state that the wyes are for cold only -- is this due to the rubber gasket at the female end or the ball valve? I replaced both gaskets with silicone - will that do the trick?

I'm a bit paranoid that it may leak at the female threads. Would I be safer going with a standard brass wye (as in my photo above), a garden hose to 1/2" NPT fitting and a high temp ball valve?

thanks again.

Reposting this as it was under the photo and may not have been seen:

I did notice that the instructions state that the wyes are for cold only -- is this due to the rubber gasket at the female end or the ball valve? I replaced both gaskets with silicone - will that do the trick?

I'm a bit paranoid that it may leak at the female threads. Would I be safer going with a standard brass wye (as in my photo above), a garden hose to 1/2" NPT fitting and a high temp ball valve?

thanks again.

Is the ball inside the wye metal or plastic? That would be the only other danger if you've already swapped out the gaskets.

Back