Hot brewed sake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out some way to brew sake more like beer..off and on, for years.

It uses a different type of amylase from the koji mold i believe. but i've never been able to find optimum temps and ph, or the name of it for that matter! anyone know more about something like this?

i'd like to be able to mash it like beer, get a firm SG & FG reading.

I'm paranoid about my drinking, and i know how to grow and sporulate koji mold. And think in case they try something crazy like sterilizing my barley. i'd have a back-up plan!

i'd like to be able to mash it like beer, get a firm SG & FG reading.

Sorry I don't believe you can do this because Sake is different in the sense you have PARRALLEL fermentation going on, this means 1 type of mould (Koji) turns the starch into sugars (via amalase created when you grow the Koji at 30 degrees C) at the same time as the yeast works on it. Gravity readings are not meaningful and you just follow a recipe.

The optimum temp is widely known at the Amylase gets created only in a narrow temp range when you create the Koji rice, this does not happen at the lower temps when in the fermentor.

Back