Hot Break and Cold Break.. how concerned should I be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cebo40

Reaction score
Reading a bit from John Palmer in how to brew and he discusses the hot and cold break, and the effects it can have on your beer.

When I transferred from pot to carboy, I did not strain the wort between the two. I just poured directly from pot to carboy a couple times to aireate.

Should I rack to a secondary via siphon to try and minimize the hot and cold break coagulates and eliminate any excess hops, etc. that have settled to the bottom of the carboy? OR leave in current carboy for remaining 2 weeks and then go to bottle?

Photo is of IPA at day 3.

Don't worry about the break material. It will settle out after primary fermentation. You can transfer to secondary after primary fermentation if you'd like. Most people only do that if they are aging or adding dry hops/adjuncts. You can bottle with no issues after a few weeks.

Don't worry about the break material. It will settle out after primary fermentation. You can transfer to secondary after primary fermentation if you'd like. Most people only do that if they are aging or adding dry hops/adjuncts.

Thanks!

No worries. Leave it. The trub will cause no adverse affects to your 5 gallon batch in 2 weeks. You could probably keep it on there for more than a month.

There are a lot of experienced brewers on this site that transfer the entire contents of their brew kettle to the fermenter and never secondary. A 24 to 72 hour crash cool, (low 30's), prior to bottling will help drop most of the particles out of suspension. Just be careful to not disturb the yeast cake when racking to your bottling bucket.

No worries. Leave it. The trub will cause no adverse affects to your 5 gallon batch in 2 weeks. You could probably keep it on there for more than a month.

There are a lot of experienced brewers on this site that transfer the entire contents of their brew kettle to the fermenter and never secondary. A 24 to 72 hour crash cool, (low 30's), prior to bottling will help drop most of the particles out of suspension. Just be careful to not disturb the yeast cake when racking to your bottling bucket.

Note taken on crash cool. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. When I first started brewing I would transfer to a secondary after the primary, but now I don't bother, I go right to kegging. The only time now that I transfer to a secondary is if I'm aging.

Back