Hospital Oxygen to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
So I have some hospital grade oxygen tanks. Could I aerate with these or can the air still be contaminated and cause infection?

If it was contaminated would they use it in hospitals?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

medical grade O2 is good stuff. The reason most folks don't use it is because you have to have a license to have them refilled. Atleast here you do. I have about 10 jumbo D cylinders sitting at work with no use. Tempting as it is, it's just easer to go buy a small bottle at the hardware store.:mug:

medical grade O2 is good stuff. The reason most folks don't use it is because you have to have a license to have them refilled. Atleast here you do. I have about 10 jumbo D cylinders sitting at work with no use. Tempting as it is, it's just easer to go buy a small bottle at the hardware store.:mug:

Interesting. That's the first time I've ever heard of needing a license just to get a bottle of O2 filled.

I use a welding O2 tank with a CGA540 valve and a little flow meter (liter/min) made to fit that valve.

Hello, let me push this a hair further. How about using the Oxygen Machine? just sanitizing a hose and putting that baby in the wort? Like the hospital comment, if it's good enough for Grandma, it should be good enough for the wort?

Hmm... I thought o2 was o2. Is there a difference?
Good question and one would think so. I don't know anything about it, but, by my laymans' thinking, I would think there are different grades. The reason I think so, and could very well be wrong, is that you have 02 for Breathing, then, 02 for use with acetyline torches. Mine is maybe more refined than the other? I probably shouldn't even be answering this since there are many more people here than I'm sure know more about it. The question was here, I was here, and I can't keep quiet, lol

Hello, let me push this a hair further. How about using the Oxygen Machine? just sanitizing a hose and putting that baby in the wort? Like the hospital comment, if it's good enough for Grandma, it should be good enough for the wort?

Oxygen machines are really Nitrogen scrubbers. The air they put out is 90% oxygen and fine for yeast. Depending on the model, they put out somewhere between 5 and 10 liters of oxygen rich air a minute. They also have a good filter in there so you know you aren't pumping a lot of spores in. If you got 'em, smoke 'em!

I read somewhere not to use hospital O2 in tanks because it includes a fungicide, toxic to yeast. I'd try to verify that one way or the other first.

Medical grade oxygen must be 99% pure, have no odor, and labelled for production by air distillation or through other means.

If the tank is labeled medical grade it can be used in a hospital. If a welding shop, which will not be using medical grade oxygen would fill these tanks, they could be used in a hospital by rip-off artists to make a quick buck and do some real damage to hospital patients.

If you're "getting it" somewhere for free than I believe it should be fine as long as there's nothing in there but O2. But you can buy welding O2 in small or large quantities much cheaper than you could ever buy medical grade O2 for.

Medical grade oxygen must be 99% pure, have no odor, and labelled for production by air distillation or through other means.

If the tank is labeled medical grade it can be used in a hospital. If a welding shop, which will not be using medical grade oxygen would fill these tanks, they could be used in a hospital by rip-off artists to make a quick buck and do some real damage to hospital patients.

Absolutly right flars. I am a central supply clerk for a nursing home. If memory serves me correct welding O2 is 90-95% pure. There is also no fungicide. I don't think the Docs write a script for fungus.

Absolutly right flars. I am a central supply clerk for a nursing home. If memory serves me correct welding O2 is 90-95% pure. There is also no fungicide. I don't think the Docs write a script for fungus.

I love this forum! Unbelievable how much you can learn here if you just hang around a while. :mug:

I wouldn't think MDs prescribe fungicide in O2, either, but wouldn't be too surprised if it were an FDA approved precautionary additive. I read the fungicide claim here http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/air-versus-oxygen. It appears to be more rumor than documented fact and I haven't read posts that "USP grade O2 killed my yeast". The sky may not be falling.

Latest posts

Back