Hospital Equipment for Yeast Slanting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new nurse and have access to the hospital lab. I want to look into slanting or freezing yeast, and have come across a few things. I am wondering if any of these would be useful in storing yeast for later use.

43ece7f7.jpg

The ones on the left are a good size, but are made of plastic and contain liquid inside them that I am unaware of.

The three in the middle are empty, can hold 6 mL, but are made of plastic.

The 4 on the right are glass, range from 3-10mL, but contain unidentified liquid (maybe medicine) inside of them. I'm sure i can just dump the medicine and wash them out.

All of these are re capable and seem to provide an air-tight seal.

I think the middle ones are the best ones, but not sure if plastic will work for slanting. Anybody that works in a hospital have any insight on this? Anything is appreciated, thanks!

I'd pressure cook the glass tubes/lids on the far right at 15# for about 20 minutes and see if they melt. When it comes to my slants I don't just star-san stuff I pressure cook it for 20-30 minutes and they have to be able to hold up to that heat without melting.

Maybe others use star-san when slanting -- I don't really know. But since I've got a big pressure canner using that seemed to be the safest route.

I buy my vials from discountvials.com -- pretty affordable for 15-20 vials.

Good suggestions! The problem here is that I don't have a pressure cooker, but I suppose I can get one soon.

And as far as the plastic ones go, I would probably just starsan them if I went that route. I just don't know if plastic is more susceptible to infection.

I use some ”test tubes” that are capped. They are soused to be used for specimen collection. Talked to a hospital worker said they are new and unused. I waked and rinsed then ran then threw a pressure cooker. No problems. Check ebay and estate sales for them. I got a large one with the screw on lid for $40 shipped. saves money in yeast.

Back