Hose clamps suck with QDs. So check this out...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevelle383

Reaction score
So if you have hose clamps on your quick disconnects and hoses, your probably like me and think "I wish those things were smaller". They are just totally in your way for a nice grab and disconect. So my nieghbor came across this little trick tool that neatly wraps stainless wire and tucks the ends. Awesome stuff, thought I would share. Its a MUCH cleaner look, and its so much easier on the disconects/reconects. It also is cheaper in the end, and applys a more even clamping pressure. Whats not to like?
Cheers

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

Honestly I dont know what to call it. Its just a very well designed hand tool , no larger than a medium screwdriver. The tool itself was invented by a local guy selling them, patent pending, so Its something I dont think you can find anywhere yet. But I think We just stumbled across a big hit in the homebrew community in my opinion. So I might contact him and make some available to people on here.

That's pretty cool, but I like the reusable plastic clamps.

I also just changed over all my barbs to the oversize ones from Brewershardware.com and now I don't use any clamps because of how tight they fit.

SNP-14.jpg

those are certainly better than hose clamps, but I just love you you can not tell these are even there. No protrusion whatsoever. Plus these things can be used all over the house on ANY size piping!. And a roll of stainless wire will last forever. I mended some old garden hose with the stuff the other day. Its so strong you can actually crush 3/4 copper. or hard pex if you wanted too. Great idea.

It's kind of cool but the pricing is way off. There is no frickin way I'm dropping even $30 on what amounts to a slightly more elegant way to twist wire together. I prefer a multitasker like a set of lineman pliers.

Cool, but not practical. Unless your neighbor has one. Although if you can afford stainless qd's, you should buy one of those tools and mail it around so we all can share. I'll be first.:)

_

I'll stick with cable ties, although I would use the tool if someone sent me one for my recently past BD.

You don't need any special tool for Oetiker clamps. Just use some wire side cutters; does the same thing and I bet you already have one in the toolbox.

@bobby
First allow me to introduce myself.... Hello. you personally have helped me far more than you could know:mug: Thank you.
Secondly...Come on :cool: I know we have all blown $25 on something WAY less useful than this thing :eek:
Well I think its pretty darn neat, but Im a tool fanatic anyways so I tend to get excited about dumb stuff like that. Glad someone found the link though...well done.

I have this tool, and I love it. I posted some of my experiments with clamping hoses here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/wh...-reinforced-silicone-tubing-hose-barb-190317/

The Clamptite had the strongest clamping of all the tools. I still have not found a clamp that compares with it.

Bobby, I'm not exactly a cheapskate when it comes to tools, but I can tell you that I really feel like I got my money's worth on the Clamptite. I use it all over the garage, not just on hose clamps. Just last night I had to clamp a copper pipe to the edge of a 2x6 and I couldn't find anything in my garage to do it without damaging the pipe. Then I thought of the clamptite. The nice thing about it is that you just use as much wire as you want. And there's no way that a pair of linesman's pliers (yes I have those too) could have clamped the wire down as tightly as the Clamptite can.

But be careful when using the Clamptite on hoses: it can easily be wound so tight that it cuts through reinforced silicone tubing. I learned that the hard way!

You don't need any special tool for Oetiker clamps. Just use some wire side cutters; does the same thing and I bet you already have one in the toolbox.

I bought one of these for using the Oetiker clamps, but found it to be really handy for all kinds of other things (like pulling nails). Think it was like $12 or so.

image_883.jpg

Oetiker clamps rock. It is what I use exclusively.
However, I'm really interested in the method brought out in this thread. It looks really neat.! Now I just need to figure out how to make the tool to do it. (It's not rocket science and I'm a frugal guy.)

Edit: BTW - I have several dozen Oetiker clamps (all sizes) so I guess I should "forget about it".

I bought one of these for using the Oetiker clamps, but found it to be really handy for all kinds of other things (like pulling nails). Think it was like $12 or so.

image_883.jpg

A cheaper smaller version @ Harbor Freight for $1.99 4" End Nipper Pliers

The one I have cost me $1, about 15 years ago.

Yeah, my clamps are more like a foot long, which gives a good amount of leverage for nail pulling. No Harbor Freight nearby, anyway. I'm sure a smaller pair would be fine for just getting the clamps on.

I think it looks rather neat. Out of my price range but a cool result. The only question is how do you easily get these clamps off when you want to? I can't see it being that easy to cut them and remove them.

I think it looks rather neat. Out of my price range but a cool result. The only question is how do you easily get these clamps off when you want to? I can't see it being that easy to cut them and remove them.
Yeah, that's the main drawback I see. I tend to replace all the soft tubing in my arsenal every year or so--the QDs, barbs, etc. not so much. I need to be able to remove tubing without a bunch of fuss and possible damage to the hardware.

Oetikers and cable ties are easy to remove. Worm gear clamps suck for a variety of reasons, but at least they are easy to remove. This stainless wire system looks like overkill.

thats true, but the slightly raised part woul snip with a pair of cutters no problem. And Once you have the tool its maybe $0.03 in stainless wire for a new one. They take maybe 1 min. to put on.
I wasnt trying to get the world on board with these things, but I am supprized to hear some of the "price " and "overkill" comments. LOL.
Have you SEEN half ouf or rigs??? For 29 bucks Id use the crap out the thing, but again,, I practically live in my shop, and tools are my way of livelyhood so...
But yeah...to each his own. For me this is a way nicer look and feel than anything else out there so There will be a guy or two that agrees and buys the tool and loves it, and then Ill feel like I contributed something :D :Cheers:

I didn't mean overkill in the sense of cost. If it's the right tool for the job, it's more than worth the cost. :mug:

Did a quick google search and found the tool. It so simple to use watching the demo video.
Here is the link if any one else wants to check it out.
http://www.clamptitetools.com/home.html

I might just have to buy one. The cheapest unit for sale in their shop is $29 plus shipping.

I just ordered one with a spool of the SS 316 .041 wire to go with it. I have the Harbor Frieght nippers and a slew of Oeticker clamps, but I'm not that thrilled with them. The problem with the Oeticker clamps is that the range for each clamp is rather narrow, so you need to be careful about what size clamps you buy. The Oetickers are certainly a lot better than the worm screw hose clamps, but I think this gadget will surpass them all for versatility and ease of use. I'll report back after I give it a try. The cost isn't too bad in the big picture and the tool should last a lifetime. I'm a sucker for gadgets and tools, so this fits the bill on both counts.

The Oetickers are certainly a lot better than the worm screw hose clamps, but I think this gadget will surpass them all for versatility and ease of use.

Don't get your hopes up on the ease-of-use count. Here's the procedure:

1. measure out some wire. you don't want it to be too long or too short, but it is not obvious from inspection how long to make it. If you are doing lots of the same size hose, that helps because you can find the right length then cut that same length every time. this takes about a minute.

2. fiddle with the wire to get it started. this takes about a minute

3. start cranking, then bend and cut. this takes another minute

There's nothing really to go wrong here, but three minutes per clamp is way more work than slipping on a worm screw and tightening with a screwdriver.

Having said that, the sheer versatility of the tool is what makes the work worthwhile.

I remember this popping up about a year ago on these forums. The price was the breaking point for most then too. Neat though. Reminds me of safety wire pliers.

Don't get your hopes up on the ease-of-use count. Here's the procedure:

1. measure out some wire. you don't want it to be too long or too short, but it is not obvious from inspection how long to make it. If you are doing lots of the same size hose, that helps because you can find the right length then cut that same length every time. this takes about a minute.

2. fiddle with the wire to get it started. this takes about a minute

3. start cranking, then bend and cut. this takes another minute

There's nothing really to go wrong here, but three minutes per clamp is way more work than slipping on a worm screw and tightening with a screwdriver.

Having said that, the sheer versatility of the tool is what makes the work worthwhile.

I'm confidant that with a little practice I can make the wraps fairly quickly. What I really don't like about the worm screw clamps is slicing my knuckles on the band that sticks out. Eliminating that issue will be worth the extra time it takes to work this thing. I don't often change the clamps, so once I get everything switched over, it should not be much of a hassle at all.

I mean no harm but I get such a kick out coments like that. I mean, it takes 3 min. The brewing process including clean up time and preperation takes most of a day, and its done twice a month at least at my house so I just think its funny to worry about the 2:30 time difference between the two. Not to mention I probably have 80 hours in my single tier RIMS build.

When I grabbed my QD's with a hose clamp the excess was always in the way, and poking you. Try and cut it off and the problem gets worse. Again, if its not something you worry about its not an issue. I have seen people use JB weld all over, and say they dont worry about leaks from thier weldless nipples on their keggles. Hey... to each his own man. But I am an anal bastard and stuff that isnt perfect, and can be fixed will drive me competely crazy. You are talking to a guy that pulled his engine out of his car 3 times to resolve a TINY oil leak. But without that it would have nastied up thousands of dollars of shiney parts and COUNTLESS hours of hard work. I also polisshed all 3 of my keggles, talk about unnecessary!!! But I think it looks like a professional brewery because of it, and small details like the stainless wraped hoses.

I'm confidant that with a little practice I can make the wraps fairly quickly. What I really don't like about the worm screw clamps is slicing my knuckles on the band that sticks out. Eliminating that issue will be worth the extra time it takes to work this thing. I don't often change the clamps, so once I get everything switched over, it should not be much of a hassle at all.

That is EXACTLY what Im talking abou too man. You'll love it.

Update and review of the Clamptite tool/system:

I bought the $29.95 basic tool w/0.041 SS wire. This wire is one step heavier than the smallest they sell on their site. The thicker wire is stiffer and slightly more difficult to work with.

I did a few practice ties using a 1/2" wooden dowel to wrap. I tried a double wrap right off and it took a several minutes. The second try was much faster and I got a feel for how best to manipulate both the tool and the wire. Third time was smooth, but I can see it taking a couple of minutes to do it right. Not bad at all once you get the hang of it.

I then tried a simple single tie. I made a single wrap single tie and then several mutiple wrap single ties. Those are the simplest and quickest. I prefer the looks and security of the double wrap, so I will go with those even thought they take at least twice as long to do.

Overall, I think this is a great tool and well worth the price. Take the time to learn how to use it properly and I think you will find it to be a valuable addition to your tool arsenal. I only seldom find it necessary to remove/replace a hose clamp, so the extra install time is not a big deal. I do like the looks of the finished clamp. It's like not using a clamp at all.

Regarding the SS wire. You can buy the wire for less at McMaster-Carr. I think I should have ordered the 0.032 wire initially instead of the thicker 0.041. The 0.032 wire is easier to work with and plenty strong enough for our application.

Using this tool properly does require some finesse, patience and experience. Once you take care of those requirements, you will love it.

What is wrong with SS hose clamps ?

The worm drive SS hose clamps are bulky and I don't like slicing my knuckles on the excess band that sticks out. Cutting off the excess only makes them more hazardous. I've been using them for years and they certainly do the job, but I like the wire bands much better. I think that some would find the wire tool too much of a PIA to use, but I like it a lot.

Latest posts

Back