Horrible Efficiency...in a good way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRinke

Reaction score
I just did a big beer yesterday. 20.75# of grain.

15# 2-Row
2# Marris Otter
1.5# Roasted American Barley
1# Special B
.75# Pale Chocolate Malt
.5# Carapils

4.5oz of Northern Brewer (60 min)
2.0oz of Williamette (20 min)

An ever so slightly modified version of a recipe I found here. My brewhouse efficiency is typically around 75% and very consistent. Everything I read says that efficiency should go down for big beers.

However, I switched things up and increased my water to grist ratio and I got a brewhouse efficiency of ~83%. 1.12 OG at 5.25 gallons. I know, most people wouldn't be complaining about something like this, but this is the first time I've had such high efficiency.

Is this going to hurt the typical full-bodied, thick mouth feel style of the Imperial stout?

It depends where it finishes, not starts, what temp did you mash at? For how long? That has more of an effect than water/grist ratio.

The more and more I thought about this, the more I realized my concern was ridiculous. Too many other factors that play into body of the final product.

I was just so accustomed to hearing that people typically get worse efficiency on big beers, and then I get the huge upswing in efficiency out of no where.

However, to fill in the gaps, I mashed 153* for 90 minutes at 1.30 water/grist ratio. Stirred vigorously with paint stirrer at 45 minutes and before mashing out. Single sparge with 2 gals at 170*.

Latest posts

Back