Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t understand- you have access to temperature control and you want to brew a Belgian-style beer, so why on earth would you want to use a non-phenolic yeast like the Omega kveiks? Pretty much by definition , a Belgian beer requires a significant contribution from a phenolic yeast, otherwise it’s not Belgian.

Having said that, if you want clean then you want Hothead, and fermenting cooler will always be cleaner than fermenting warm, but it seems you don’t actually want to make Belgian beer.

I know its not a true Belgian, I put it in parentheses because im only using a Belgian malt. Ive brewed this with Belgian yeast (wyeast 3522, 1762, 1214). Just wanted to try a different strain and see what happens.

I know its not a true Belgian, I put it in parentheses because im only using a Belgian malt. Ive brewed this with Belgian yeast (wyeast 3522, 1762, 1214). Just wanted to try a different strain and see what happens.
I am with @Northern_Brewer brewer here I don’t think you can call it a Belgian beer just because you used Belgian grain, the ester profile of belgian yeast is what makes it. Look at it this way, if I were to brew a IPA with US 2-row, US Carapils, and US c20 and used WLP550. Would you still consider it an American IPA?

So, used Hornindal for the first time this weekend, used Hothead previously. Recipe:

11 lbs Golden Promise
3 lbs Honey

28g Simcoe @ 15
39g Southern Promise @ 5

56g Simcoe WP for 30 min at 160

Pitched half a packet of Hornindal manufactured in March. Pitched at 85f and am pushing back up to 90f.

Will dry hop with Simcoe and Galaxy at probably a 3:1 ratio.

Other than slicing my finger when assembling my conical, it was a good brew day.

I feel like I am stressing the efff out of the yeast, but from what I gather, that’s what you want to do.

I am with @Northern_Brewer brewer here I don’t think you can call it a Belgian beer just because you used Belgian grain, the ester profile of belgian yeast is what makes it.
What would you call it?

I didnt read it as he was calling the beer a Belgian, but rather a belgian recipe he wanted to try kviek with. It might end up being good. Might be drain pour. Props for experimenting.

@kylecompton21 Read Lars blog if you haven’t already.

Full blog: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

How to use kviek: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

What would you call it?

I didnt read it as he was calling the beer a Belgian, but rather a belgian recipe he wanted to try kviek with. It might end up being good. Might be drain pour. Props for experimenting.
He said a “Belgian” Pale ale. I don’t know all the ingredients but Belgian yeast is what a Belgian beer is. Not saying the beer itself will be bad, probably will be great just not Belgian lol

What would you call it?

@kylecompton21 Read Lars blog if you haven’t already.

Full blog: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

How to use kviek: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

Yes, that exactly what i was looking to do. I know its not an actual Belgian beer without the yeast, just wondered if it would be good with a Kveik strain. I have looked at some of those, but not completely. Thank you!

I did a Loral pale ale which consisted of:

2-row
a bit of Victory

All Loral:
small bittering addition
1oz 15 min
2 oz flameout

Pitched Hornindal at 85F, raised to 90F 2 days later where it finished.

I'm not the biggest fan of this beer. Not sure if it's the Loral or the ester profile from the Hornindal. It also did not reach FG any faster than other ale yeasts I use, which I found odd given all the reports of blazing fast ferments. But holy smokes, it's been in the keg for a week and a half and it is already VERY clear, which is impressive in and of itself. I might do a side-by-side brew with this yeast to really get a feel for it.

Last edited:
So, used Hornindal for the first time this weekend, used Hothead previously. Recipe:

11 lbs Golden Promise
3 lbs Honey

28g Simcoe @ 15
39g Southern Promise @ 5

56g Simcoe WP for 30 min at 160

Pitched half a packet of Hornindal manufactured in March. Pitched at 85f and am pushing back up to 90f.

Will dry hop with Simcoe and Galaxy at probably a 3:1 ratio.

Other than slicing my finger when assembling my conical, it was a good brew day.

I feel like I am stressing the efff out of the yeast, but from what I gather, that’s what you want to do.

Is this recipe a red IPA? 3 pounds of honey is a boatload! My experience is that hornindal leaves a higher FG than most, my NEIPA tend to end up around 1.018-1.020 and that’s with 1/4 lb of honey or aromatic. Make sure to post an update when the beer is done, I’m curious to see what the FG is and what the color looks like.
Cheers!

Is this recipe a red IPA? 3 pounds of honey is a boatload! My experience is that hornindal leaves a higher FG than most, my NEIPA tend to end up around 1.018-1.020 and that’s with 1/4 lb of honey or aromatic. Make sure to post an update when the beer is done, I’m curious to see what the FG is and what the color looks like.
Cheers!
Actual Honey, not malt. My in laws gave me a mason jar from their 2018 harvest. I am not really going for a particular style, just using what I have.

Just pitched an 8 month+ old pouch of Imperial Loki (kviek) that had been in the fridge the entire time on a 1.062 5.5 gal amber extract brew at 90F on Sunday. Temperature is varying between 78 and 82 each day and entertaining the hell out of customers in our store as it burps right along. It is beginning to slow down now on the 6th day...... I think the aging is a substitute for reduction in volume. It's our first usage in anything other than a NEIPA.....curious as to what flavor it will impart.
So we let it run for 12 days. FG was 1.008 and the beer was more clear than I expected. After kegging and slow force carb, it is actually quite good. I think the yeast did a nice job of raising a little esters that normally would not have been in this beer with the regular yeast and normal ale fermenting temps and did a nice job of balancing malt and hop flavors. I am looking forward to putting it on tap at the store and getting comments.

What would you call it?

Pilsner malt and NZ hops sounds like a New Zealand Pilsner if you ferment it clean enough, drifting towards a British golden ale if you allow the yeast to contribute a bit more character and the ABV is not too high.

Style names are mostly to communicate to someone an idea of what they'll experience when they drink it - most people couldn't tell the difference between eg Belgian pilsner malt and German, whereas "Belgian" is associated with a specific yeast profile.

I havent used this yeast for a while but last batch w/ Conan tasted weird and I needed to brew a replacement for a get together next weekend so I broke out my stash of Hornindal. I had previously over built a starter and harvested about 75ml of yeast slurry. I had dipped into that several times and was down to about 25mL. I put that into a small 800mL starter 1.036 and put on my porch to spin up in this 95+ heat in TN. Here is a pic after less than THREE HOURS. Blowing my mind...
DDB29D67-D3E3-408D-82F4-58702F4F2474.jpeg

Am I seeing this correctly? Did you almost double the cell count in 3 hours?

A picture says more then a thousand words. I used 2/5 of a 100ml Hornindal Kveik from Omega on 18L/4GL enriched with 3gr of yeast nutrients in the last 10min. of the boil. The rest I put in little plastic containers.
Screenshot_20190714-122317_BrewSpy.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-122317_BrewSpy.jpg
20190714_121119.jpg

20190713_133215.jpg

Who can tell me about the nutrient requirements for Hornindal? I like to brew more moderate gravity stuff, 1.050 and below, but also have a pack of this yeast that I want to try. I've heard that kveiks do best in an environment with a lot of sugar. For something in the 1.050 range, could I just add extra Wyeast nutrient or something similar? Is that necessary?

Who can tell me about the nutrient requirements for Hornindal? I like to brew more moderate gravity stuff, 1.050 and below, but also have a pack of this yeast that I want to try. I've heard that kveiks do best in an environment with a lot of sugar. For something in the 1.050 range, could I just add extra Wyeast nutrient or something similar? Is that necessary?
I've brewed with Hornindal in that range, and I added the normal amount of Wyeast yeast nutrient. Everything seemed to go just fine. I will say that I fermented at an ambient room temp of about 70F, so it took maybe 7 days to finish instead of 2 or 3.

I got my information here:
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

If your wanting to add a good amount of yeast nutrients, plenty of people on here as well as myself add spare yeast to the boil.

Yeast have all the nutrients needed for their cannibalistic friends to eat up. Its also a great use for coopers yeast, or if you have a Costco nearby, one of their massive yeast bricks for 5$

@TGFV I've heard this before but would like your experienced take. If I add say 25ml of Red Star baking yeast from Costco to the boil, then it will act as a yeast nutrient and not add off flavors? How many ml dried yeast from a Costco brick would you add?

I tried. I really tried. I set Hornindal up for failure. I pitched a single pack dated 4/8/18 that I picked up for a half buck into 4.5 gallons of a 1.060 wort yesterday afternoon at about 92 degrees F. This morning - full krausen and my garage smells like fruit salad.

I tried. I really tried. I set Hornindal up for failure. I pitched a single pack dated 4/8/18 that I picked up for a half buck into 4.5 gallons of a 1.060 wort yesterday afternoon at about 92 degrees F. This morning - full krausen and my garage smells like fruit salad.

Just think, that Hornindal was destined for a landfill and you found it a good home!
:mug:

I have one going now in my hot ass garage. I made a starter with it and split into 5 mason jars, and each one settled out with a pretty small amount of slurry on the bottom. I pitched one into my 3 gal batch and gave a buddy one of them as well. Today I'm on day 6 and activity seems to be finally slowing down. It was never going as fast and furious as other fermentations I've had but started pretty quick considering the underpitch and maintained a moderate pace all the way through last night. My buddy noted the same thing, that his didn't seem as vigorous as other fermentations but started quick for such an underpitch.

Just think, that Hornindal was destined for a landfill and you found it a good home!
:mug:

Bootleg Biology recently ( this week?) posted a story on their blog outlining how they abused Oslo with similar results. I don't expect to love this beer or this yeast (POF- ? boring!), but from a purely experimental standpoint, I'm impressed.

Update: Day 2 - the krausen was gone in the morning when I checked it. Couldn't help myself later in the evening so I checked the gravity - 1.010. I don't know if it's done done, but it's gotta be close. I'm calling terminal gravity in under 40 hours. (with an "expired" pack, mind you). It's an IPA - I'm not gonna love this beer, but it'll be nice to have a yeast around that can get it done in a pinch.

Last edited:
What is the hottest you guys pushed this yeast? I usually do 80-90*, it’s over 100* here in oklahoma. I need to ferment a bbl of beer in the garage, it would be nice to use this and not have to build a fermenting chamber, but I don’t really want to risk a whole bbl of beer. I sure it gets over 105* ambient in there.

What is the hottest you guys pushed this yeast? I usually do 80-90*, it’s over 100* here in oklahoma. I need to ferment a bbl of beer in the garage, it would be nice to use this and not have to build a fermenting chamber, but I don’t really want to risk a whole bbl of beer. I sure it gets over 105* ambient in there.

Honestly wouldn’t worry about it. Last summer I used Voss in my hot ass shed when it was 110f outside and def +100 inside. Worked like a chanp

@TGFV I've heard this before but would like your experienced take. If I add say 25ml of Red Star baking yeast from Costco to the boil, then it will act as a yeast nutrient and not add off flavors? How many ml dried yeast from a Costco brick would you add?

I usually add 25-35ml of yeast to the beginning of the boil for anything high gravity, and never had any off flavours (though I have only done it three times so far) so I am assuming this would work for a nutrient demanding yeast like kveik as well.

Follow-up: The omega yeast hirnindal is a blend of I think four yeasts. I overbuilt the original pack and set aside slurry. I brewed 5 batches from the overbuilt slurry. I would use a sanitized tablespoon to pickup some goop at the bottom of the jar. The first three went just as advertised. The last two, including the one referenced below, stalled after about 15-20% attenuation. It occurred to me on day 3 that the blend of yeast possibly flocced in a stratified fashion at the bottom of my mason jar (assumption - just trying to make sense of the back to back bad fermentations) and I was getting the weakest yeast of the blend on the last two by scooping the bottom of the yeast cake. Morale of the story: if you overbuild this yeast make sure you mix up the slurry before using so that you get all types of yeast from the blend.

Slightly off topic: Due to my gathering this weekend I made a mad dash to LHBS, of course no kveik in stock.... My alternate plan was A20 Citrus (wlp644) since I knew I could ferment warm and fast with this too. Total brain fart - I grabbed A4 Barbarian (Conan). I made a vitality starter and pitched at 82 and held it there for three days (12* higher than the recommended range). OG 1.061, Hornidal brought it to 1.050 in 12hrs and stopped for 48hrs, Conan (A4) finished at FG 1.014 in 48hrs. I left it naturally cool for a day, soft crash them dryhop for 24hrs. Turned out amazeballs!!!! No fusel or off flazors - regular peach esters from Conan.

I havent used this yeast for a while but last batch w/ Conan tasted weird and I needed to brew a replacement for a get together next weekend so I broke out my stash of Hornindal. I had previously over built a starter and harvested about 75ml of yeast slurry. I had dipped into that several times and was down to about 25mL. I put that into a small 800mL starter 1.036 and put on my porch to spin up in this 95+ heat in TN. Here is a pic after less than THREE HOURS. Blowing my mind...
View attachment 634999

Follow-up: The omega yeast hirnindal is a blend of I think four yeasts.

Original Hornindal is a complex blend, there's some debate as to how many strains are in the Omega version and I've not seen anything conclusive, but it would make sense for them to use only one or two.

A picture says more then a thousand words. I used 2/5 of a 100ml Hornindal Kveik from Omega on 18L/4GL enriched with 3gr of yeast nutrients in the last 10min. of the boil. The rest I put in little plastic containers.
View attachment 635489
Seeking advise.

After two days I thought it was ready and I heeved the beer into a secondary last tuesday night. The SG was down from 1.068 to 1.021. I replaced the blow off by an airlock. After half an hour or so the airlock was bubbling away. Wednesdaynight I added hopleafs for dryhopping and when I took the lid of the bucket a thin layer of yeast had formed on top of the beer(didn't take a picture of that unfortunately). This morning the airlock is still bubbling a few times per minute. I want to bottle the whole thing this Sunday. Go on with it or let it go for another week?

Before picture(the green thing in there is the lid of the iSpindel I measure SG with during fermentation.
20190716_194747.jpg

After picture:
20190716_194958.jpg

Seeking advise.

After two days I thought it was ready and I heeved the beer into a secondary last tuesday night. The SG was down from 1.068 to 1.021. I replaced the blow off by an airlock. After half an hour or so the airlock was bubbling away. Wednesdaynight I added hopleafs for dryhopping and when I took the lid of the bucket a thin layer of yeast had formed on top of the beer(didn't take a picture of that unfortunately). This morning the airlock is still bubbling a few times per minute. I want to bottle the whole thing this Sunday. Go on with it or let it go for another week?

Before picture(the green thing in there is the lid of the iSpindel I measure SG with during fermentation.
View attachment 636303
After picture:
View attachment 636304

Test your gravity.

Could be that rousing the yeast got you more attenuation

Test your gravity.....
I just did and it's down another 8 points to 1.013 and very little to no activity in the airlock anymore so I am pretty sure it is done now.
I guess I am going to keg and bottle it coming Sunday.

And that is pretty amazing because I brewed this last Saturday.

I just did and it's down another 8 points to 1.013
Had a similar experience with Voss. Hit 1.021 for 2 days and thought it was done and planned to bottle. Let it age another 2 weeks and it was down to 1.014. Glad I didn’t bottle when I originally planned.

DITTO! Fermenting a Tripel right now, target final gravity was 1.019. Checked it last night, no airlock activity, it was 1.024, so I agitated it and let it sit for a day. Tonight, it's down to 1.012, no krausen, no airlock activity. Will check again tomorrow, if no change, will rack to secondary.

Latest posts

Back