Horchata Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh. Had horchata; love it, had milk stout; love it, horchata milk stout? never had it :) Seems like the only missing ingredient from a milk stout in a horchata is the cinnamon, right?

Vanilla beans and cinnamon I believe. I was wondering if I could just make a milk stout and flavor it with those 2 ingredients or if someone had something fancy or interesting that had been tried and tested.

Vanilla beans and cinnamon I believe. I was wondering if I could just make a milk stout and flavor it with those 2 ingredients or if someone had something fancy or interesting that had been tried and tested.

I think Horchata lends itself well to a milk stout, but wouldn't you need more than just vanilla and cinnamon? I would think that almonds would be a logical addition, or perhaps chufas depending on what type of flavor you're going for.

Or, if you wanted to take the easy way out, just add some pre-made horchata at the end of your boil. That actually sounds pretty good, now that I think of it.

Yeah I was fishing for some ideas because I had seen a horchata ale recipe that just added cinnamon and vanilla beans and thought myself that it would need something else.

Hey, just wanted to chime in. I've been wanting to do a horchata beer for a while now. I had the "Or Xata" at The Bruery in OC last month and it sealed the deal for me. It was amazing and I really want to try and make it now but I'm trying to figure out a recipe.

I had a mexican friend who taught me how to make horchata. His recipe was basically to fill a large pan with water add about a cup of rice and boil it then turn off the heat and let it sit until it cools down to room temprature. Since there is a lot more water than rice the rice can only absorb so much water and the rest of the water gets the rice flavor. Pour the rice water into a pitcher, add two cans of evaporated milk, then fill the rest of the pitcher with drinking water, add a splash of vanilla extract and a few dashes of cinnamon, stir well then set in the fridge.

So based on that I was thinking following the same basic recipe but substituting the evaporated milk with lactose. Basically boil about 4 gallons of water and add a bag of white rice. Bring to a boil and let cool so the water can absorb the rice flavor. Remove the rice, then heat the rice water back up to 155 degrees with specialty grains, light DME, etc. add 1 lbs of lactose last 15 min of boil. Cool and transfer to carboy and fill the rest with water. 1 week in a primary then 1 week in a secondary with vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks. Just not sure what specialty grains would be good. Thoughts? Suggestions?

GabberGod said:
Hey, just wanted to chime in. I've been wanting to do a horchata beer for a while now. I had the "Or Xata" at The Bruery in OC last month and it sealed the deal for me. It was amazing and I really want to try and make it now but I'm trying to figure out a recipe.

I had a mexican friend who taught me how to make horchata. His recipe was basically to fill a large pan with water add about a cup of rice and boil it then turn off the heat and let it sit until it cools down to room temprature. Since there is a lot more water than rice the rice can only absorb so much water and the rest of the water gets the rice flavor. Pour the rice water into a pitcher, add two cans of evaporated milk, then fill the rest of the pitcher with drinking water, add a splash of vanilla extract and a few dashes of cinnamon, stir well then set in the fridge.

So based on that I was thinking following the same basic recipe but substituting the evaporated milk with lactose. Basically boil about 4 gallons of water and add a bag of white rice. Bring to a boil and let cool so the water can absorb the rice flavor. Remove the rice, then heat the rice water back up to 155 degrees with specialty grains, light DME, etc. add 1 lbs of lactose last 15 min of boil. Cool and transfer to carboy and fill the rest with water. 1 week in a primary then 1 week in a secondary with vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks. Just not sure what specialty grains would be good. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Just had the "or Xata" today at the bruery tasting room today. It is amazing, keep us posted on how this turns out if you make it. I already have my next few brews planned but this on the list.

Latest posts

Back