Hopville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamrd

Reaction score
What happen to hopville it seems that their site is either down or gone?
Even though it hasn't been updated in almost a year I still kept recipes on it.

Very buggy overall... It keeps saying "i crapped out" whenever I add an ingredient.

Hopville has been bought by Brewtoad.
All Hopville recipes have been exported to Brewtoad and Hopville has been shutdown.
While I appreciate all the work the guys at Brewtoad are doing to improve their site, I used Hopville because of the user interface and do not find Brewtoad half as intuitive as Hopville.

I agree. I went to the brewtoad site today to edit a hopville recipe I was working on. The functionality is completely gone, now it just lets you note ingredients.
There is a note that they are looking for input on adding mash water calculations. Um... seriously? Hopville calculated all of that before, why would you buy a working website and then deep six the information and start over?
Looks like time to find a new brew log website. I hate the idea of buying a software package but for the sake of continuity that might be the best way.

Looks like brewtoad kissed a prince and turned it into a frog.

Brewtoad does really suck. It exported all my recipes. However, it messed up the measurements. When I changed them, it crashed the site.

The srm seems to be miscalculating. They just took hopville and made it way stupider.

-1 for brewtoad.

Beersmith is only $22. Guess its time I made the switch.

There were things I liked about Hopville, but Brewtoad had some functions I preferred so I made the switch a year ago anyway. Really these are just basic recipe calculation sites, and the hopville water calculator was way off for my system anyway (I have created my own Excel spreadsheet for my systems water anyway).

I am kind of hoping Brewtoad picks up on some of the things I preferred about Hopville, then it is best of both worlds. My spreadsheet gives me most of what I need anyway, the site just gives me a place to store my good recipes and ideas I am working on.

Yea, brewtoad is a prettier site, but less functional. It also screwed up some ingredients in the transfer of recipes. Not the worst thing in the world, but annoying. I hope they pick up some of the better interface things from hopville.

Made the BeerSmith purchase tonight and have been playing around with it the last couple hours. Questioned using the money for it, but brewtoad was obnoxious, even after I figured it out and added some recipes, and $20 is worth the upgrade.

I also do not like Brewtoad. I have started using Brewology 101 and downloaded Brewtarget. Both work really well and have almost same functionality of Hopville. Of the 2, I think I like Brewology a little better. It is very user friendly.

I was pretty disappointed when Hopville died. After my recipes were imported into BrewToad I gave it a shot and added the brew I was working on at the time. It's OG calculation was just wrong. All their emails during the transition were very welcoming though, so I sent them an email to let them know their math was off. They fixed the problem quite quickly.

So... while their interface isn't quite as easy to use as Hopville's it does seem more stable. They also seem eager to make BrewToad everything Hopville was and more.

Maybe if everyone lets them know what they are missing, it'll get better. I'm going to stick with them.

Well I gave them a shot, but I'm done... I'm finding brewtoad more and more clunky as I use it. I'm going back to my spreadsheets.

I am liking Brewtoad. I find I can make a recipe quicker than with the interface with Hopville. Like others have said, previous recipes from Hopville that were imported to Brewtoad were messed up (wrong AAs which give wrong IBUs, wrong OGs), but I am fine going forward with Brewtoad

The BREWR app for Android is seriously where its at if you guys enjoy free brewing calculations. That app does not skip a beat! Great!

I just tried to create a new recipe in Brewtoad to give it yet again another try. It is even worse then when they did the the migration. Even more not user friendly.

I use a Mac, how do I export my recipes so they are somewhat legible? I can't use this program. I will continue to stick with Brewology 101 and Brewtarget.

JoeSpartaNJ said:
I actually love brewers friend, but I am too cheap...but I may have found a loop home.

Loop hole.....damn auto correct and bombers of stone expresso russian imperial stout.

Yea, I think I'll have to download Beersmith and/or Promash. I spent ~2hrs going in and fixing all the things that got screwed up in the migration and I'm still not thrilled with the recipe formulation or navigation of the site, although there is more functionality than hopville had.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but brewers friend is an amazing brew site.

It is extremely intuitive/user friendly. I LOVE that it is online as well. I can review/build/modify recipes from my phone or wherever I'm at.

Id give it a good look before purchasing software. No looking back for me... My BS2 disc is just collecting dust.

Back